Elite take 3

Friendly Fryer

Elite 1. Bought secomdhand works fine but the programming function doesn't work

E-Link USB port on the device broke and is unusble

Elite 2 bought form Hattons Nov 2018 lasted for a month and then just came up witha blank display and red led on power up, so returned for to Hattons for a replacement..

Elite 3 comes upo with error on strat up. Originally I though my layout had a short, but Elite 1 reports no problems and works with RailMaster and Elite 3 comee up with error with just the power plugged in (no USB or connection to any track)

has this happened to anyone else - and is it me? for example can shorts damage the elite unit in some way?  

notes: I have a single bus layout with 30+ DCC concepts DIP motors, terminated with DCC concepts bus supressor and I have two hornby auto reverse controlled reverse loops. I have never run more than three locos at once and everything worked perfectly yesterday.

I've had my Elite since 2013....never missed a beat.....luck of the draw I suppose.

• Single BUS with suppressors (my home made ones not shop bought).
  • Rarely run more than 3 locos at a time, but ALL are sound.
  • 17 x points, but using R8247 decoders not DCC Concepts.
  • 3 x RLM modules, but not Hornby branded ones, configured to switch at 1.7 amps detection current.

If your R8239 RLMs are in the Elite switch position. Try running your layout with the R8239 switches in the 'Select' position. It is a pity that Hornby chose to use those terms on the switch labels. The R8239 switch, in reality sets the trigger currents. The 'Select' position sets the trip current at about 0.8 Amps. The Elite switch position sets the trip current to about 3 Amps. With two RLMs potentially systematically drawing 3 Amp trip currents during a layout running session, that is bound to put extra strain on the Elite power management. 0.8 Amps should be enough current for most average RLM protected track sections if only one loco is in the protected section at a time. If you can maintain layout function with the RLMs switching at 0.8 Amps then there is less electrical strain on the Elite.

No I don't think so Eric. I read it as each one is being used individually 'one at a time' but in the fourth 'bullet point' he is just comparing the observed differences in function between the different units. He also states in that fourth 'bullet point':

"Elite 3 comes up with error with just the power plugged in (no USB or connection to any track)"

See post Elite Error screen in this topic area. As Hattons have provided one replacement then pester them for another and another if necessary. I am presuming Elite 3 is the replacement for Elite 2.

If all else fails i.e. Hattons baulk at a further replacement, then contact HCC  and tell them the story especially if you meet resistance from the selling point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and my apologies for not replying sooner. I am out of intensive care after surgery so when I can escape from hospital I'll try the select switch idea Chrissaf suggests. 

I have not asked Hattons for a replacement, but I didn't want to go though this thread.

and yes I only connect on of the Elites to my track and PC at any one time.

Thanks again

All the best for a speedy recovery.

I bought my Elite in January 2009 - £123.90 - still going strong with no problems, however it does require the latest update. I only run one loco at a time and it is programmed to operate all of my Cobalt Digital iP point motors, but as they are also wired for toggle switch operation, this is the method of choice.

• 1 month later...

Update.  My elite was sick Hornby have replaced nearly everything inside it and it is working again so fingers crossed. In the meantime I am loving the teardown series by RAF96 and I have the right triangular bots to do my own servicing on my other faulty Elite and e-link units

Archived