Controller confusion

Glitchy

Welcome

All DCC kit works together, but some play together better than others depending upon how tight the manufacturer (s) held to NMRA rules and regs.

All a DCC Ready FS will need is an 8-pin decoder of your choice, unless it comes DCC Fitted.

As the FS is 00 then it may look a little out of scale compared to your h0 stock, but it will be happy on the same guage track.

The Super Empire Builder contains a Digitrax DB150 Command Station. The Super Empire Builder was basically a Digitrax DCC starter kit. The last product update was about circa 2009 before it was superseded by the Digitrax EVO Evolution Advanced Starter Set.

Information above sourced from the Digitrax website.

In theory, being a DCC Command Station, it should be compatible with any other manufacturers DCC equipment (decoders) but unfortunately this cannot be guaranteed.

I have looked through the online manual for the Super Empire Builder and can not find any statement in it relating to NMRA DCC Standards conformance. The nearest statement I could find was this, screen capture below: Where it says compatibility extends to decoders made by other companies.

/media/tinymce_upload/af8c94b6f12ddb1b4f9ed851e7e51423.jpg

One has to bear in mind that the firmware technology in this Super Empire Builder is about 10 years old and may not be totally 100% compatible with decoders available today. Doesn't mean to say that it is not, just that as a paper research exercise, the full compatibility cannot be easily assessed. Based upon posts on this forum, there are many posts where members have had issues with Hornby decoders used with non Hornby controllers, particularly Hornby TTS decoders.

Unless there is a member (unlikely) on this forum using your specific controller with current Hornby products that can advise. Then I'm afraid, it is going to be a case of 'trying and seeing' if Hornby decoders are compatible with your older technology controller. In theory, (as an alternative) there should be no reasonable reason why you couldn't buy a Hornby DCC Ready loco version and install a decoder (Digitrax?) that you know works with your controller. Current Hornby DCC Ready locos use an 8 Pin NEM 652 socket.

If you are thinking of buying a Hornby TTS version of the FS. Then just be aware that Hornby TTS decoders have their own issues and operational quirks. What I mean by this, is that if any Hornby decoder is going to be incompatible with your controller then it is more likely to be a TTS one.

So as I said earlier, unless you can find a Hornby forum member or a member of another Model Railway forum who has personal experience of your proposed scenario, it will have to be a 'trial and error' experience to confirm one way or the other.

EDIT: Rob posted whilst I was typing mine. Rob makes a good valid point about H0 vs 00 scale. Both scales are compatible with HO/00 scale track width 16.5mm. But the HO rolling stock will look noticeably smaller when stood next to a piece of 00 rolling stock.

TIP: I write long posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

WHICH Scottie? Some are only dc, some are DCC ready, and some are DCC FITTED.

Put a dc (12v analogue) loco onto a DCC track, and you will very quickly kill the motor.

DCC Ready - means it is fitted with a socket, but there is no decoder in it, just a bridging blank, so it is still a dc loco.

DCC FITTED - has a decoder installed, ready to programme and go - but no sounds.

DCC SOUND fitted (or TTS) has a decoder fitted that makes the appropriate noises on command.

Archived