Help with Class 50 TTS sound decoder

james john_gudgeon

I have just received the new Class 50 DCC sound decoder. I have fitted to Hornby class 50 locomotive R2434 50149 defiance. I am using a Hornby Elite DCC Controller. When moving off from stationary the locomotive judders and does not run normally until more power is applied. The same happens when the locomotive slows down to  stop. The locomotive was previously fitted with a lenz LE1035E recorder and ran perfectly. I have refitted the lenz decoder and Locomotive again runs perfectly. Have others found this problem with TTS sound decoders and if so can you please advise the solution. Regards Jim

This is a common problem and is usually easily resolved by changing CV150 to a value of 1 (the default is 0). This is the alternative motor algorithm and is described more fully in the instruction manual with other adjustments you may wish to try.............HB

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

I have 2 Class 50s fitted with TTS, so far, and one previously with a Loksound.

As observed above - the loksound provides a smooth start by default, but both TTS versions have the very jerky start. Yes they have fans  - but these make no difference. Yes they have flywheels.

I have tried changing to the 'other algorithm' =1 which wa slightly better --- I may look at the values in a Class 31 to see how different they are to help me get it right ! - the 31's do not show the problem.

One of my 50s was also a version* which had a board and LED lights wired for common cathode .... my solution was to replace the PCB and LED boards completely and use veroboard, and warm white instead of yellow LEDs while I was changing them/    *Socket marked 180degrees from other 50's possibly part number 1621 X001R6 w400 94V-0.  Luckily the TTS decoder had survived being plugged into it, as marked - the controller detected a short and protected it. (It had previously had an earty ZTC decoder installed) Loco was 50035 blue large logo Ark Royal 

This topic is only a page long and already has the OP asked, answered and successful, then 2 hijacks, the first possibly explained but unanswered and the second only comments somewhat consistent with OP problem (then change the motor algorithm must be the most common answer to TTS problems).

PH, as you do seem to have a wiring fault, many of which have been reported previously, suggest you contact HCC by phone with a view to replacement or rewire.  And next time ,I suggest you will get more advice quicker by starting your own thread instead of hiding your post at the bottom of a different problem. 

Archived