Class 50 and Valenta TTS decoders

Sultan

I have the Valenta TTS decoders but not the Class 50.

The Valentas are very good and get good reviews on RM Web DCC Sound section along with videos with the original and aftermarket speakers.

Hi,

I have just fitted a TTS to a 50, 50 007 Sir Edward Elgar, the locomotive is of the later modified version which had the extra roof fans removed.

Cutting one of the locating tabs from the speaker allowed it to be to fitted in the space between the cab wall and PCB.

The main PCB will lie flat on top of the main circuit board with a layer of insulation tape around it, and and another strip acorss the main PCB.

Sounds are good, some adjustemt will required for individaul sound volumes as the brake squeal was way too loud, but I only fitted it this afternoon, more time requiredto fiddle.

I have a few other TTS sound locos, but no others to compare it to for overall sound quality.

Rusty

VERY USEFUL INFORMATION, THANKS RUSTY. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS TTS CLASS 50 FOR A WHILE NOW.  I HAVE 4 LOCOS TO DO.  MY DECODERS SHOULD ARRIVE TOMORROW. WHEN I HAVE A FEW LOCOS OF THE SAME CLASS I LIKE TO USE DIFFERENT SPEAKERS TO GIVE A HINT OF VARIATION IN THE SOUND, SO I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO EXPERIMENTING.  THERE ARE A COUPLE OF VIDEOS OF THE TTS 50 ALREADY ON YOUTUBE, AND THEY SOUND BRILLIANT.  WELL DONE HORNBY!

Quick question folks - would fitting an after market speaker (making sure it is 8ohms!) invalidate the TTS decoder's warranty? On their helpsheet Hornby do mention the fitting of other speakers (and the hardwiring of decoders to "not DCC ready" locos) so I'm just wondering what the official line is?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've fitted one to one of the earlier Class 50 releases D421 using a Rail Exclusive SP26x20x8 speaker and I am impressed, particularly with the loco on full throttle - showing my age it's also exactly as I remember DP2 which I used to see at speed regularly on the ECML before it's tragic demise. As a general comment, using a good quality speaker really brings the TTS decoders alive, and if you've more than one of a particular loco, vary the speakers to give a slightly different effect. I've done this with a batch of Hornby 31s (love the cold start sequence), and am in the course of making an upload for YouTube on these. The SP26x20x8 is a good alround speaker, but larger ones or multiples would fit. Don't forget though, no speakers lower than 8ohms, and if using multiples, read up on the effect of wiring in series or parallel.  With both the 50 and the 31, simply remove the fan unit and it's drive mechanism, leaving a vast space for the speaker etc. Heresy to some, but I actually cut the fan belt off rather than dismantling the loco drive shaft; if you want to restore it, the belts are readily available. The fan itself easily comes off, and I simply stick this to the underside of the roof grill with black plastic insulation tape - looks good and also seals the grill area which helps the sound quality.

Archived