TTS Sound Decoder Non Responsive

Flying Aussie

Hi there I recently purchased a DCC ready flying Scotsman and decided I would try to add sound. Purchased an A1/A1 tts sound decoder and fitted to the Scotsman. On the default address of 03 using the Hornby Select firmware 11 i believe i tested it running around my loop of track and turning the sound on playing with a couple of the whistles. Went stop the engine so i  could switch to programming track and assign a new address but it wouldnt stop, accelerate or play additonal sounds. Even the big red all stop didn't actually stop the engine. I turned the select off and the back and the train had stopped. Tried to operate again on address 03 but no response. Then programmed it to address 02 got 3 red flashes and basically exactly the same thing happened worked fine for a few laps and then becomes unresponsive. On third attempt at reprogamming 8 red flashes and no engine response. 

Additional info wires from the transformer are directly connected to the track ie not with power clips. My other dcc engine runs fine. I even swapped decoders over and the standard decoder runs fine the tts still the same issues. 

Any thoughts or tips would be appreaciated?

Sounds like a hardware issue, there must be something wrong with the TTS chip. I had issues with a Crosti 9F TTS chip, where over the space of a week it went from working OK to not doing any sound. I would say it is definitely the chip, unless there is some  weird interaction with your DCC controller, but I doubt it. The decoder is supposed to pick up its data off the pulse train that gets fed to the tracks, it sounds like it gets it right initially, but then gets all "screwed up", I am surprised the big red button doesn't work, I thought that stopped all the power to the tracks. As I say in my opinion it is the TTS decoder, so send it back. Switching the power off and on allows the decoder to do a "hardware" reset, or alternatively cool down, which is why it probably works for a little while.

Select at v1.1 (11-30-03 on screen at start up) can only operate a few functions so is not suitable for TTS, hence you should consider getting it upgraded after which it will operate all 29 functions (F0-F29 inclusive).

I would have suggested a decoder reset but your Select cannot do that either until upgraded to v1.6.

The uncontrolled speeding is typical of what is known as DC runaway where the decoder sees what it thinks is DC and applies full track voltage to the motor. You can turn DC running off in CV29 but again your Select cannot do this until it gets v1.6

Based upon your username I presume you are in OZ somsending the Select back to Hornby for upgrade may not be an option.

Select with 1.1 firmware needs to be updated to version 1.5 for full 100% compatibility with TTS decoders.

Hornby would appear to be currently installing 1.6 (pre-launch) firmware. Firmware at 1.6 revision level would add the ability to write to the full range of decoder CVs which the pre 1.6 versions can't. The downside for you is that the Select needs to be shipped back to Hornby in the UK for the upgrade (assuming you are OZ based by your forum name).

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

EDIT: Once again Rob beats me to the 'Save' button.

Yes I am indeed from OZ so sending back to Hornby isn't ideal, but i'll take it to a local hobbyco and hopefully they can run a test with an updated select or an elite and definitely rule out the tts decoder. Any recommendations for a good dcc controller? (if the select needs an upgrade I feel i might as well just get a better controller) 

I must admit I have an Elite DCC controller and I am quite happy with it. I also have one from a well known German manufacturer which I got really cheap on EBay which I gather they stop making in 2005, but the Elite is much better. I suspect the newer ones by alternate manufactures are probably a bit better as their design is newer, but I like the way the menus work on the elite.

Interested to hear the Hobbyco response on Select Upgrade FA as they are the Hornby agent here.  They should st least provide a return to Hornby service, unlikely they can do the firmware upgrade.

If they can’t and have to return it, agree that the Select, although much more capable with the upgrade, is still limited compared to other Hornby controllers, so consider Elite, or eLink with Railmaster for a cheaper solution but requiring a PC/laptop.

Archived