All locos now unresponsive to Select controller.

Guest Chrissaf

I have a problem. Its brand new select controller. Used for few months.

Suddenly locos (DCC fitted by Hornby) stopped running while using Select controller. 

When connect the controller it does go through 11 and 30 and then 03. I did the following:

1. Checked connections

2. Tracks are cleaned

3. Restt the control unit as per the mannual

No response. Can somebody help

Dr Arif

If all your locos have suddenly stopped working, rather than just one individual one. Then that would indicate a fault in something that is common.

The 11, 30, 03 start up display sequence is correct for a Select. I would point out however that the initial 11 tells us that the firmware version is 1.1 which is quite old and outdated now. The current version is 1.6 which really is a Select 'game changer' because 1.6 gives the ability for the Select to write to all the CVs and also do decoder 'factory resets' which your 1.1 version won't be able to do. Your 1.1 version also has limited support for Hornby's new TTS sound decoders. The Select can be upgraded to 1.6 on a 'return to Hornby' basis for a charge of £15.

But I digress........it may be that the output silicon components of the Select have failed or a failure in the track power connector. This really does need to be tested and confirmed because it will eliminate a wide range of potential causes of your problem from the equation.

The easiest way to check the power output of the Select is with a digital multi-meter. If you haven't got one, very cheap and cheerful (but perfectly adequate for your needs) ones can be purchased from ebay for under £6 delivered....(click the preceding link for details).

Put the meter onto the AC Voltage range and put the measurement probes across the track rails with the Select powered up and showing 03 on the display.

You should read a value somewhere between 13 volts and 16 volts. If this voltage is not present, then take the measurement directly on the 'Track A&B' output terminals on the Select. If there is still no voltage reading, or not in the range stated above, then that would indicate that the Select is faulty.

If the voltage is present on the Select output terminals but not on the track, then investigate the electrical path continuity in-between i.e the wires and the power connector.

The fact that the Select powers up and displays 03 would tend to eliminate the possibility of a 'short circuit' on the track.

Measure the voltage on the DC coax connector output of the Select power supply. This should be a rock steady 15 volts DC +/- 0.5 volts (put the multi-meter on the DC voltage range this time). The inner pin is positive and the outer barrel is negative. If the measured voltage is significantly less than 15 volts DC, then there may be just enough voltage and current available to start up the Select, but not enough to operate trains. In which case the power supply is faulty. The 1 Amp Select power supply can be replaced by the Hornby P9300 4 Amp power supply. So if the original power supply is faulty, the 4 Amp replacement also provides a significant power capacity upgrade.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Also you say the Select is brand new.  If it is, it has clearly been sitting on somebody‘s shelves for a period of at least a few years given how long since firmware v1.1 was current.  I would be returning it faulty given what you are finding and for replacement with much later firmware.  Getting v1.6 might be difficult though as it is very recent and not many Selects at retailers will be at this revision. 

Have you tried to see if any locos respond when you select address 3. It may be a voltage spike or short has reset all your locos,to default addresses.

I would be getting back to the person who sold you the Select and asking why it is not v1.5 which has been out for quite some time and would they like to have it upgraded for you for free. As Fishy says its been gathering dust on a shop shelf for years. Look on the bottom and you will see a code below the label such as 20/17, with the latter numbers being the year of manufacture I.e this one is 2017.

Archived