R070 Turntable

Wa1t0mo47

Dear Team

I have a new R070 and I am able to get it to turn and select inwards and outwards tracks.

Two questions, if that's ok.

1. I have been following the advice of your very knowledgible correspondant St1ngr4y, which is why I can perform the abobve tasks. Now, how do I tie down the TT to the layout? I can't find any screw holes in the plastic, and I certainly don't want to break it by drilling random holes.

2. I am using the Elite controller. I have set up a short power bus, and a short accessories bus which is attached to the power bus, and I have a programming track for new locos. Now, what's happened is that the locos on the track refuse to run, and the TT is the only loco that works, but its address is not shown. On p15 of the Elite manual, there is a list of instructions to program a new loco, which is what the TT thinks it is. I have selected Adr:0004 as the base address for my locos, and I have given the TT loco 5. However, step 8 is not offered, and step 9 doesn't show Address. This means the TT seems to work ok, but I do not actually have any control over it, in that I can reverse the TT, but it does the entire reverse sequence, and then stops. Should I use Adr:0003 because it's the default loco address, and how do I delete the other addresses? I wouldn't mind returning the entire Elite to its default settings, and start all over. I've only programmed two locos on the programming track (loco 1 and loco 2) and now the TT as loco number 5, so no damage would be done by a reset.

Hi

Elite manual is here (V1.4) http://=www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/11/  and the reset is detailed on page 68.

Personally I would give the Turntable decoder a much higher address number such as 99 or 999 etc as that keeps it well away from future loco address numbers. I assume you have changed the TT motors wiring and used  a loco decoder for the TT motor drive?  Red and Black to the DCC bus and Orange and Grey to the TT motor wires removed as instructed from all previous connections as supplied new.

To fix in place if you don't want to screw it down use a glue such as UHU etc.

See this item which is Hornby's own take on DCC conversion...http://=www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/turntable-conversion

Each locos decoder should have a different and unique address number.

See also, another Hornby R070 thread started today by somebody else. Which gives more information on modifying the Hornby R070 TT for use on a DCC layout. Not quite your exact issue but it is related.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/turntable-r070-connection-on-a-dcc-layout/?p=1

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Hi,,,,there should be at least three countersunk holes in the black area of the turntable ,have you fitted all of the pieces of track and covered over them ,,,,also if you have fitted the decoder correctly and converted the turntable as per hornbys instructions you should not be having any problems ,,, I suggest resetting and re addressing the turntable ,I done mine as 070 ,,make sure nothing else is on the track and then test it ,it should without doubt turn and stop and then dwell and then start to turn again at each exit,,you will have to address any locos on a programming track or disconnect the turntable from the track bus ,,,,hope this helps ,,mjb

I don't have it anymore but my R070 Turntable had a hole between each turnout for a track pin.  The holes can be seen on this photo.  I had modified it to DCC, by fitting a standard Loco Decoder into the small hut.

/media/tinymce_upload/83aec7a0154abb698c4d395bc0a5a668.jpg

@Wa1t0mo47

This means the TT seems to work ok, but I do not actually have any control over it, in that I can reverse the TT, but it does the entire reverse sequence, and then stops. 

I don't quite understand what you mean here. With the Elite, you select loco 5 for, say, the left hand knob, then turn the knob to increase the speed. The turntable should then rotate, pausing at each track, until you turn the Elite knob the other way to stop it when it reaches the track you want. What do you mean by "the entire reverse sequence" ?

Ray

Walt, given you say you have a power bus with an accessory bus attached to it, you effectively have only one bus. 

But I'm not sure you’ve understood how to program locos and the TT containing a loco decoder.  Each, including the TT decoder, must be set up on the programming track attached to the Elite programming output and separately programmed with their own unique address.  When you then re-attach the TT decoder to the bus, it will then work on the address you gave it whatever it is, and the locos back on the main track will operate separately on their addresses.  Apologies if you already understood all of this but from what you’ve written it wasn’t clear to me that you do.

I've only programmed two locos on the programming track (loco 1 and loco 2) and now the TT as loco number 5........................Now, what's happened is that the locos on the track refuse to run, and the TT is the only loco that works, but its address is not shown.

Sounds to me as if two things have happened. Firstly that despite what you think. You have not successfully changed the two locos from their 'default' 003 DCC address to the new 001 & 002 DCC addresses. And the TT is turning via an Elite feature called 'Zero Bit Stretching' this feature is used for DC Analogue loco support and could account for why no address is shown on the display.

How do I delete the other addresses?

You don't (can't) delete addresses.You just 'overwrite' them with a new one. The addresses are held in the actual decoder, not the Elite. So every time you power up the Elite, it starts up afresh and forgets anything you did previously with it. It does not read the decoders at start up, so again it only learns what you tell it as you start a new running operating session.

You programme the loco decoders by placing them on the 'Programming' track piece (which must be physically and electrically isolated from the main track and Accessory Bus). This means that the Loco Decoder you are using for the TT also needs to be connected to the 'Programming' track piece when settings its address to 5.

In practice this means disconnecting the TT decoder input from  the Accessory Bus and using a pair of temporary wires to attach to the TT decoder input, which can then in turn be directly attached to the Elite 'Prog A&B' terminals. The TT decoder needs to remain connected to the actual motor for programming. Unless a decoder specifically supports otherwise, nearly all decoders must have a motor load attached to accept new programming. So it is probably not going to work if you remove the decoder from the TT for programming purposes. Use the temporary extension wires I have described for programming.

Once the TT Decoder has accepted its new address, then you remove the pair of temporary wires and re-attach the TT decoder input wires back onto the Accessory Bus for testing and operating.

You say that the two locos are not responding to the new addresses 001 & 002.

Do they still respond to their factory default address 003? or possibly do they respond to the TT 005 address?

If they do, then you have not successfully changed their addresses using the Elite manual Page 15 instructions. This seems to be borne out by your comments about Step 8 and Step 9. It would appear that you are not performing the described tasks in the manual correctly.

I have reproduced the Page 15 instructions below, but with additional detail that may help.

Firstly, the loco being configured with a new address has to be placed on a separate track piece directly connected to the Elite 'Prog A&B' terminals. Or in the case of the TT decoder via the temporary wires described further above.

For the purpose of this description, there are three decoder addresses I have used, DCC addresses 001, 002 & 005. For simplicity sake, I have reused the manual description for DCC address 001. You need to substitute the 001 address with the 002 or 005 address as appropriate when following the guidance below:

Step 1, connect the Elite 'Prog A&B' terminals to the separate programming track piece for locos (or TT Decoder) as described above.

Step 2, Place the loco to be programmed on the programming track piece (or connect the temporary TT decoder wires to the Elite as described above).

Steps 3 to 7 as per the original Elite manual. Pressing Controller 1 means pressing the left hand side rotary speed knob, not button 1 on the Keypad. Similarly, pressing Controller 2 means pressing the right hand side rotary speed knob and not button 2 on the keypad.

/media/tinymce_upload/865c1b0e76f1355b895bad82df4c3e3f.jpg

Steps 8 to 12 as per the original Elite manual.

Step 8 is where you enter the DCC address you want to configure. DCC address 001 or 002 for the two locos or 005 for the TT Decoder. Note that the display uses four characters, so you actually enter (I suggest using the keypad rather than the speed control knob) 0001 for 001, 0002 for 002 and 0005 for 005 use the address at this step appropriate for the loco or TT decoder being configured.

At Step 9 & Step 11, the display will show 0001 or 0002 or 005 as appropriate.

At Step 12, if it is the TT decoder you are configuring, you disconnect the temporary wires and re-attach the TT decoder to the Accessory Bus for testing.

/media/tinymce_upload/a70af6d341063189a6ea816fb0dfd41e.jpg

With the locos now put back on the main track and the TT decoder re-attached to the Bus you are ready to test to see if the new addresses work.

To Operate a previously programmed loco or the TT decoder.

To ensure that the Elite is in the correct mode, press the 'Loco' button on the keypad as described in Step 1 below.

At Step 2, enter the address to be controlled (I suggest using the keypad rather than rotating the Controller 1 speed knob) remember that the display is four characters, so the address to key in will be 0001 or 0002 or 0005 etc as appropriate.

/media/tinymce_upload/bc65c39ebb60a1bb7fd955cf52454ee0.jpg

If we assume that Loco 0001 has just been assigned to Controller 1 as detailed above, then you can assign Loco 2 or the TT decoder to Controller 2. Before you can assign the address to be used to Controller 2, you first have to Press Controller 2 as described in Step 5 above.

In Step 7, use the keypad to enter 0002 or 0005 as appropriate.

In Step 8, the display will show the address entered above in Step 7, not 0020 which is the description example address.

/media/tinymce_upload/453bfbe8afdf0563dac0f4f664406f3f.jpg

Rotate Controller 2 to operate the decoder (0002 or 0005) that you have just assigned to it.

Whilst you are making changes to the appropriate decoder operation using the Controller 2 knob, the Controller 1 knob is inactive. The Loco that had previously been assigned to Controller 1 will continue to perform its last issued command.

To take back control of Controller 1, you have to first press Controller 1 before it becomes active again.

OK so you have now got two devices running, one assigned to Controller 1 and one assigned to Controller 2. If both of these are Locos going round an oval of track, they can be left performing that task whilst you re-assign one or other of the Controller knobs to a third device to control using the procedure described above. You can keep on assigning new devices to either of the two controller knobs as your play session continues. Devices that have been previously assigned to a Controller knob are held in memory (memory clears when the Elite is powered down) and can be 'fast accessed' using the 'Escape' key.....see page 18  of the Elite manual..... extract below.

/media/tinymce_upload/5304b7c07604fe60bbc9c31603c9697e.jpg

TIP: I write long posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

Not wishing to complicate things further - when programming, on a prog track, I ALWAYS disconnect the main track bus from the Elite, before I start.

It probably is not necessary, but I have a lot of DCC loco's to reprogramme if I mess up! Belt and braces?  😛

Archived