Point decoder and motor

john_ellis

Programming point decoder and motor or Hornby elite I’ve done one with 4 motors it’s fine I’m trying to do the second one I’m going on to menu put acs then direct then cv then 513 then 2 as its the second one I’m doing can anyone tell me where I’m going wrong I’m putting red black and green in the rite order what about the A and B connection for the track do they need to go in a special way do I have to clear the decoder if it’s been programmed before

regards john

...do I have to clear the decoder if it’s been programmed before...

Not normally. You just overwrite any previous configuration with the new one. However, given that the decoder is the Hornby R8247 (an assumption) then I would recommend performing a factory reset by writing 8 to CV8. These decoders can be problematic when the configuration gets corrupted and a 'factory reset' is a wise precautionary measure to take.

Out of the box, a R8247 has the four ports configured as DCC Address 1 to 4. This is the same as writing Group Address 1 to CV513.

So in reality you didn't need to do anything at all to use the first four ports with point motors except wire them up and use them.

Now this poses a bit of a conundrum. If you tried to perform a write to CV513 and input the Group 1 address. Then if the process method you undertook did that successfully, you would have just reinstated whatever was there as the factory default.

OR

If whatever you did was done wrong and had no effect on the configuration. You would have thought it worked because you could successfully use the first four DCC addresses (1 to 4) with points and they worked because that was the factory default configuration that is already configured in the product.

This second option would seem to fit in with your inability to duplicate the configuration process using Group 2 address (port addresses 5 to 8) on the second R8247 decoder.

In case your issue is down to not following the manual instructions correctly. This previous post reproduces them but with additional guidance notes added. Do remember that before you try and change the port addresses on the second R8247, it first needs to be temporarily wired directly to the 'PROG A&B' output of the Elite as the ONLY connected device.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/programming-a-2nd-r8247-to-elite-controler/?p=1/

What about the A and B connection for the track do they need to go in a special way.

No....the DCC track signal is Bi-polar and has no unique polarity. As a 'rule of thumb' though, I would try and match the A - A and the B - B connections between the R8247 input and the Elite track (and PROG track) output, but in reality it should make no difference.

I’m putting red black and green in the right order.

How can we be completely sure of this, since you haven't told us what order you are using nor what brand of point motor you have. I raise this as a query to be checked, because both Hornby and PECO use the same three 'Red, Black & Green' colours for point motors but use them in a different order.

PECO use the Green as the common return [C terminal on the R8247] with Red on + and Black on -

Hornby use the Black as the common return [C terminal on the R8247] with Red on + and Green on -

What cable are you referring to.....

The USB cable between the Elite and a PC is a bog standard industry wide supported 'Printer Style' USB 2.0 cable. USB A at the PC end and USB B at the Elite end.

The USB is the squarish one between the DC input socket and the 2 x Xpressnet sockets. It is as Chris said a standard printer cable B end. The case is even marked with the international USB symbol.

/media/tinymce_upload/7bc57841555a85c6d179a9768f8a31bd.JPG

And if the two posts above are not clear enough. Then this is my version. If your controller does not look like this then you haven't got an Elite.

/media/tinymce_upload/4621ce6ce10ab0be734949891b05d467.jpg

The red circle is the USB Type B socket. The green circle encompasses two XpressNet sockets, these are not 'Internet' sockets.

An industry standard USB A to USB B Printer Cable looks like this:

/media/tinymce_upload/a88837512f930e6b870e0f80432dfee5.jpg

You rarely see the oblong (USB A socket) being used on a 'client' device (the Elite is a 'client' USB device). The USB A type socket is used on a 'host' device such as a PC or Laptop or on a USB Hub. A 'host' device provides a +5 volt source of power. Optionally if suitable (as the USB +5 volt source is a low curent supply), a 'client' USB device consumes the +5 volt power provided by the 'host'. PCs nearly always have USB A type sockets or a USB 3.0 variant of it. Whilst the attached 'client' USB devices can have a broad mix of USB connector types....a sample range below. Two of the connectors below are 'host' USB A type, so not appropriate to display and have been blurred to save confusion. The remaining connectors shown below are all 'client' type USB connectors of one type or another.

/media/tinymce_upload/22c63a2bf67e169053e65e5d27682868.jpg

Memory sticks and flash drives are one type of USB 'client' device that have oblong USB A connectors, but that is only so they can be plugged directly into a USB 'host' device without recourse to using a cable.

Archived