Alternative to Hornby class 47 TTS decoder

TrainDad

Hi folks.

Have posted this before but got no responses - hopefully someone out there can offer some advice.

With the Hornby class 47 TTS decoders no longer available.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to an acceptible alternative. 

I only have one other diesels - a TTS fitted class 37 and I'm unfamiliar with just how different the decoder sounds are between classes.

Cheers.

Unfortunately the 47 TTS is rarer than hen’s teeth until Hornby order up another batch.

You could look at the Wikis for various locos to see which used the same engine, maybe a Class 56, but again none in stock.

Or you could go for a generic diesel as found on the Econami decoder range. They have a selection of horns too. Bit more expensive than TTS and you have to buy aspeaker to suit.

Unfortunately, they are significantly dearer, more than double the price. I think YouChoos do one as well, but although a lot better than Horby's TTS, again signicantly more expensive. I don't know why Hornby aren't ordering more in, they are very good value for money compared with their competitors. I admit they are probably not as good as their more expensive counterparts, but perfectly acceptable for the price. 

Thanks - will look into these.  Do you think it likely Hornby will manufacture more of their 47 TTS decoder?

Stck a request into the Wishlist section of the forum, then follow it up with an email to site admin asking for it to go to Marketing for consideration. The more people that ask the more chance of it happening.

Class 47 TTS decoder hasn't been available for quite some time now.  I managed to purchase two about 6 months ago, but it took an awful lot of internet searching to find.

The 47 was one of Hornby's first diesel TTS classes along with the 37 and 40.   IMO subsequent releases have improved dramatically. - the recent Valenta HST, 08 and 50 are almost as good as ones costing treble the price!

I was wondering whether Hornby may do an improved 47 instead of a mere re-release.  I'm sure there would be a massive market. And a 37 as well please!

It’s most likely any improvements in TTS have been due to better firmware, maybe also sound files loaded, rather than changes to the hardware design itself.  Therefore there is a distinct possibility a new batch will benefit from later firmware and perform better.  All speculation on my part though.

It’s most likely any improvements in TTS have been due to better firmware, maybe also sound files loaded, rather than changes to the hardware design itself.  Therefore there is a distinct possibility a new batch will benefit from later firmware and perform better.  All speculation on my part though.

I would tend to agree with your firmware speculation Fishy. The value of CV7 has been creeping up with each new batch seen.

If you want a list of all TTS decoders and their characteristics to date look on RM Web where there is a post with a JMRI decoder definition file for TTS. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136936-tts-decoders-updated-jmri-decoder-file-class-50-and-class-66-now-added/

Archived