RailMaster not writing the ID for a new loco

Hi I have just taken delivery of Rolvendeon (R3781X) and tried to change its ID and RailMaster wouldn't let me do it.

What I have

• Hornby Elite connected to RailMaster Pro with all firmware and software up to date.
  • I have a test track of 600mm with droppers wired directly to the underside of the track, so no funny business with Hornby power connectors.

/media/tinymce_upload/186f1009126f0602cef63c4199481df2.jpg

where the green box ubnderneath the Duchess is my test rig of 2 parallel track one for my rolling road and one for programming (no idea why this picture is on its side?)

What I did

• I put it on my programming track entered the details about it like the right picture etc. .  I hit "i" to look at the CV's and did a read of all of them OK so it identified the hornby decoder and so on.  Oddly the loco creeped along occasionally on my progtrack during each cycling of the read process by maybe 5mm.
  • I used Sigma to set the CV to 0059, and I got an erroir failing to write.
  • Becasue the CV had not changed I checked it was OK by running it on ID3 and that was fine.
  • I swapped Elites because I have two and the same result.
  • I then used the Elite itself to set the CVand that worked, so I changed thge entry in RailMaster to 0059 and the loco worked but shot round my circuit like a banshee even on shunt.
  • I noticed the max speed was 1 and the throttle looked very odd (0-1) but the setting showed shunting speed of 10 and cruise at 40.  
  • so I set the timed course entry to 11 seconds (over the 5.4m of my layoiut without point and all is now well.

So has anyone seen this sort of thing?

Did this happen on the new RailMaster 1.71.0 version release or the previous 1.70.2 version release?

I ask, because it may be an undiscovered bug in the new 1.71 version.

What are your 'n' values for:

1. Alternative comms=n
  2. Check controller=n

in the railmaster.ini file?

OK I pulled down the so called latest version from RailMaster and installed it. However once I did that I was asked if I wanted the latest version 1.70 so I installed that.  In most windows software help -> about gives the version no so I am not exactly what version I am on it does say 1.70 on the help screen.

To be honest its the problem of write back that worries me, and nothing has changed there also Rolvenden still creeps a long my programming track whn trying to read CVs.

For the speeding problem I manually enter the max speed and time to cover the 6.274m by timing it. By the way for this bug you'll notce a max speed of 1 on blue in a small font under the cruising speed.  

Chrissaf I have the following ini settings

• Alternative Comms=1
  • Check controller=0
So I hope that helps and to be honest I posted this to see if it was a generic problem and hopefully get the bug noticed and fixed if it was one.

Reading your post, I suspect that the version you downloaded was not from the link on this forum. The clickable download link on (RailMasters own site) is not kept updated with the latest version. The download link to use is found at the top of the RailMaster forum page. The underlying URL the clickable link is assigned to is:

http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe

/media/tinymce_upload/5c69f8a9839fe092a0d6b033504e9cab.jpg

The installed main version number is displayed on the main RM screen just to the left of the clock in a small yellow box. The revision number is displayed in a pop-up if you hover the mouse cursor over the top of the version number (currently 'Revision 0').

/media/tinymce_upload/e1198925ba9142057e23501bce10d1cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chrissaf

thanks for this, I searched for the download and the first hit went here.. https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/10/ whihc give a liunk to here..

http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe

so you'll forgive my stupidity in following a link on Hornby.com.

Secondly the app at http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe has an omproperly signed certificate and so looks like potenially malicious software to our anti-malware.

/media/tinymce_upload/f32e5e4c2bea9d2e118832f2e2faaaae.PNG

so I ignored this and will continue testing and yes I am no on 1.71 rev 0.

This has fixed my Loco ID problem so I am really pleased about that so for me case closed.

Thanks again

Your AV is giving a 'false positive' because RM software is really old and written for XP using obsolete Visual Basic 6. The links you have quoted are perfectly valid and safe.

Archived