CV settings keep failing [using RailMaster]

Guest Chrissaf

hi guys, had a lot of useful help but every time I try to write to the decoders of 2 locos I keep getting writing failed, I am following the this link from this site : https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized-23469/, the only difference I can swee is that one loco, set as 0002 but when I put in the CV loco address it only shows 2 zeros, 002, I have railmaster software set up and the E-Link has wires from track output to the running track and wires from prog to the coding track, can anybody offer any suggestions as to why I keep getting failures on  both locos I am trying to recode all help and advice apreciated

Absolutely critical that you check the following: Do make sure that you are not using any DC Analogue power clips or power tracks on your layout. These are specifically Hornby R8206, R602 and R8201 track products. These track power products contain suppression capacitors inside them that will corrupt and shunt DCC signals, particularly the low power level signals used on the programming output of the controller. If any of your track power products contain capacitors, then the capacitors must be removed or the product replaced with the proper DCC versions R8241 or R8242.

Checking for & removing the capacitors.

/media/tinymce_upload/86244ab72f8d5f14a661aac7331a2c08.jpg

Also use a small rolled up and flattened piece of 'wet n dry' abrasive paper to insert under the wire terminating springs of the 'Prog A&B' terminals on the back of the controller. Work the 'wet n dry' back and forth under the terminal spring to ensure any tarnish build up is removed. Re-strip the wires going to the 'programming track' to ensure fresh clean newly bared wires are then used to reattach the 'programming track' back on to the controller 'Prog A&B' output. The low level programming output is very sensitive to any form of dirt or grime in the electrical path and 'tarnish' build up may need frequent removal at various times in the future as well.

Make sure that loco wheels are spotlessly clean as well for the same reason. Make sure that the loco runs on the main track without issue on the current address first, before trying to change the address. If the loco has running issues on the main track, then it is unlikely to be error free when placed on the 'programming track'.

When you read the loco decoder CVs. Do you get all readings returned as value 255. If you do, then this is an indicator that the controller just cannot electrically see the decoder.

If all the above fails to correct the issue and assuming that you are using the correct procedures in RailMaster to 'read n write' the CVs**. Then it is possible that the 'Prog A&B' output of the eLink has gone faulty. Faulty eLink programming outputs do get posted on the forum with alarming regularity. One way to instantly kill an eLink programming output is to accidentality touch any part of the 'programming track' to any other part of the main layout. So if you recall accidentality dropping any metal objects that might have bridged across the 'programming track' and the 'layout track' then you have your answer.

Note** I refer you back to your other recent post "RailMaster DCC Control System" where I gave links for a series of 'How To' posts relating to setting up locos.

Archived