Analogue to DCC fitted cost

maw78

I'm interested in purchasing a train which I think is analogue ( waiting for confirmation ) .... if it is can someone give me a rough idea how much it's likely to cost to convert to DCC fitted ? I'm working on a budget and dont want to purchase it if I cant afford to get it converted.

AFAIK......most fitting services charge around £15 plus the cost of the decoder. This charge assumes two things. Firstly that the installer is also providing the decoder and secondly that the loco is 'DCC Ready' with a decoder socket.

The cost can go up from there if the installer has to hard wire in the decoder to a non DCC ready loco. The fitting cost for 'DCC Ready' locos may be higher if you want to provide your own decoder.

Non sound basic four function decoders are typically in the £12 to £20 price range.

It also depends on the loco. Some of them it is quite easy to convert, some there is just no room. I had an early rebuilt West Country and there didn't there seem to be any room, because the weight took up the space not occupied by the motor. I ended up putting it in the tender. I had an old Dapol Terrier and even with the smallest module I could find it was really difficult. I suppose if you give it to someone to fit, it is their problem.

As Colin rightly says it depends on the loco.  Man hours taken, difficulty of fitting also play a part.  A simple dcc ready loco can be £5 to fit excluding the decoder, but a split chassis loco can be £25 upwards excluding decoder..Non-DCC locos can be simple fit for a basic decoder fitting but more involved if sound is needed and lighting this costs extra to do.

Archived