Burning control units

Bousy

Hi Bousy - welcome to the forum!

If you're using the Scalextric power supplies and controllers that come with the powerbase / start grid, then it shouldn't happen - certainly not three times!

If you are using any non-standard equipment, that could be a cause... Does this happen after you've been racing for a while or does it happen immediately?

It's worth contacting Scalextric Customer Services (details below or right) and see what they think.

I hope that helps.

This looks bad... did it genuinely happen while the powerbase was being used correctly?

It would be helpful to understand the precise set-up conditions which caused the failure... please...

For example, was the correct Scalextric power supply unit (PSU) being used and was it the version with the correct voltage rating for the country of use? was more than one powerbase in play? had the powerbase or wired controllers been modified in any way?

C

Hello, guys!

Recently my friend had some simiar problems with these control units..and he still can't fix it (actually, he's a big fan of SCCALEXTRIC so he even bought a funny brand cap  from https://www.myfitteds.com/ )

I wanted to buy some of the latest McLaren models for my son's BD but now I'm not sure what to choose and suppose he won't be able to fix problems like this on his own..

So what shall I do? 

I cant speak for the reliability of the basic analog powerbases... but if I ever saw the kind of damage shown in the photo above I would contact customer care (as advised above ) and have to hand a clear description of the conditions under which the damage occured.

If upgrading, I would recommend either the ARC AIR (analog only) or ARC PRO (switchable between digital and analog). Both of these powerbases have far more advanced overload protection circuits than the above passive powerbase. In real time they monitor current levels flowing though the track and when the overload condition is triggered they shut down the track power. Both are great powerbases... and both come with wireless controllers and a free-to-download bluetooth app too.

C

Archived