What happened to Thomas?

Guest Chrissaf

To do anything regarding Thomas you need a licence from the owners. I talked to the manager of a heritage railway a few years ago and he said they were stopping Thomas weekends because the price if the licence was enormous. 

I dare say this was the case with Hornby. I’m not sure it was a big seller any more so they decided enough was enough. It is available from Bachmann and there is plenty available second hand from eBay and model railway shows and retailers. 

Heya everyone...have been out of the loop for a couple of years with a young family..now getting my young fella into the hobby...what has happened to Thomas and friends?..why was production stopped?.. I honestly thought that was hornby's in with the young market...i must have missed something major. .if anyone has any insights pks let me know...cheers

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Sadly, the Hornby Thomas & Friends range was discontinued back in December 2018. This was news was though announced around April 2018, to allow time for people to learn the news. Several reasons was due to this, including toy safety regulations, other times of entertainment for children becoming more popular and the license as mentioned is very expensive now for Thomas & Friends products, hence why the cost of models were not very cheap. If I can find the news article for the discontinuation of the range, then I will post if for you.

As for looking for some of the 2015 and 2016 models (The most up to date Thomas models made), some model shops have some of it left, but the majority of the range is difficult to find now. The majority of the older models are even more difficult to get. I would hate it if I was just starting my Hornby Thomas & Friends collection now!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found that a mixture of hornby and bachmann works well - whilst i have almost all the hornby and bachmann ranges, I found that -

gordon and henry from hornby

thomas, percy and toby from bachmann

james and edward from bachmann

...look best together. james is a little toy-like, as is edward, but i'm happy with them :)

Mark

TheAMRModelRailway, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

I almost agree with you, but I prefer the Hornby models to be honest with you. They have more detail, despite being incoorect. My collection focuses on the Hornby models and the Bachmann Trains models I own are the models that Hornby didn't release.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 2 weeks later...

TheAMRModelRailway, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

I almost agree with you, but I prefer the Hornby models to be honest with you. They have more detail, despite being incoorect. My collection focuses on the Hornby models and the Bachmann Trains models I own are the models that Hornby didn't release.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

ah thank you!

I do know what you mean, definitely. I think it was the edward that hornby made that pushed me away! :D