Buzzing Engine

Geoffboy

Hi

I purchased a Hornby Lord Nelson with sound some weeks ago and now having had my Select controller returned by Hornby for an upgrade(1.6) I was keen to try it out.The engine doesnt start off straight away but eventually did,its done 2-3 circuits with sound also working,but now  it buzzes like mad but with sound still ok.I have read on this site about capacitors in the built in power clips should be cut out so have now done this but is that to late.Im worried that I have somehow burnt motor out,although the engine wasnt left buzzing for more than a few seconds.I look forward to any responses

Thanks

The track capacitors (now removed) only affect the DCC control & operation of a Decoder fitted DCC loco. It shouldn't have any effect, well at least not on the motor i.e buzzing.

The slow start on Sound locos is totally completely normal. The sounds have to go through certain start up processes before the decoder tells the motor to turn. All my locos are sound (Loksound) and some of them might take as much as 10 to 15 seconds before the loco moves off.

If your sound loco is TTS....then the buzzing might be coming from the speaker and not the motor.....can you listen more closely to tell. If the buzzing is coming from the speaker then the TTS decoder or speaker has gone faulty. Something that happens far too often with Hornby TTS decoders during the first few minutes of use.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Archived