fitting a x9659 chip too a 040 engine

badgers

hello

there is a decoder fitting guide on the hornby website. The principles are the same for the x9659 ,the only real difference being the socket fitted to the decoder , If you can get the male plug then it will be straight forward,without the plug the difficulty does increase ,you could cut the socket off and solder directly onto the wires , or if you wish tin the wires and gently push the wires into the socket.

I am assuming that the loco in question is not a 'DCC Ready' one with a socket. Thus, you will need to have some 'soldering skills'.

The X9659 decoder is terminated on a Du-Pont 2.54" Pitch 4 way socket connector. Rather than cutting this connector off and 'burning your bridges' by direct hard wiring. I recommend purchasing some 2.54" Pitch SIL PCB Header Strips [sIL = Single In-Line & PCB = Printed Circuit Board]. These typically come in 36 way strips or larger, but can be cut to any length you want with a craft knife. A suitable example of this product is linked below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Pin-36-Pin.....truncated URL

You can then cut one of these strips into a short 4 way one which will push neatly into the the X9659 socket. This will allow the decoder to be unplugged for diagnostics or easily replaced without having to get the soldering iron out again.

Wire up the 4 pin connector to your loco as per the wiring diagram below:

/media/tinymce_upload/afd621951c4bc8b8525f30277747ffde.jpg

hi, thanks for your help, I like the idea chrissaf  takes about, it must be easy to do that way, can you obtain it from eBay or some of the railway electrical shops, you have given me some hope now got about 12 locos to do, cheers

....can you obtain it from eBay or some of the railway electrical shops.....

Badgers,

That's why I provided the clickable link to eBay in my first reply. Based upon your question as written, it would appear that you didn't follow the link I placed in my reply, that would infer that you don't seem to be aware that the red underlined text in a post is clickable to take you to somewhere else on the Internet.

/media/tinymce_upload/c19d083856d4338f65590a884cb93748.jpg

If your question is just poorly worded and you are actually asking whether you can buy the 4 way plug with wires already terminated on it. Then you will have to make your own using the parts I have suggested. Which is why I also included a clickable link to my 'How To Solder' tutorial in my reply.

Example of 'Heat Shrink Tubing'. I suggest choosing the 1.5mm or optionally the 2mm unshrunk diameter for this project from the pull down list. Once heated, it will shrink down to a tight fit of 1mm or smaller.

You will also need some fine decoder wire. There are many sellers of this type of wire. Here is an example one:

I suggest the 7/0.127mm 0.74mm OD wire option in the pull down wire selection list.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railwayscenics-Fine......truncated URL

After-all, even if you could buy a ready made 4 wire harness. You would still need to use soldering skills to fit it to the loco. So making your own harness from these parts is no more difficult.

Archived