Elite v1.45 update

96RAF

Experience with the update process  - yes it is very reliable. Those few folk that have had problems updating - it usually boils doen to finger trouble, not following the instructions to the letter.

Experience with v1.45 - yes - as stated it only fixes a handling problem associated with the Hornby Sapphire decoder Fuel Simulator. If you don’t have or use the fuel sim then you don’t need the update.

What revision is your Elite at present as it may be fine as is, but if an early revision then there have been many fixes that are advisable.

Experience with the update process  - yes it is very reliable. Those few folk that have had problems updating - it usually boils doen to finger trouble, not following the instructions to the letter.

Experience with v1.45 - yes - as stated it only fixes a handling problem associated with the Hornby Sapphire decoder Fuel Simulator. If you don’t have or use the fuel sim then you don’t need the update.

What revision is your Elite at present as it may be fine as is, but if an early revision then there have been many fixes that are advisable.

I had a PC freeze during a previous update rendering my Elite useless. I had to return it to Hornby to have the proms erased and the firmware reinstalled, and haven't updated it since. Not sure what version, will check tonight, but it does everything I need it to do, and I'm a believer in 'if it aint broke don't try and fix it'... :)

If the update process freezes it is usually due to choosing PC Type 1 when using a modern/fast PC, whereupon an update can take as long as an hour to complete if left to get on with it.

Obviously if a PC itself crashes during an update then that is outwith the control of the Elite update installer.

If the Elite does ‘brick’ due to a failed update, recovery is normally a simple case of restarting the update process from square 1. In very, very few cases has this failed to recover an Elite, which may have been due to be a latent fault in the Elite If they had been sent for investigation.

If the freezing update was prior to 1.42 and bricking the Elite, then it was using the old firmware installer. The new fimware installer from 1.42 onwards was developed to overcome the Elite 'bricking' issue. The old installer did not have the PC 1, 2, 3 type choice in the menu option. In fact, if I recall correctly, there was no menu at all in the old installer.

Correct Chris. It was also complicated by use of a bootloader, which if the update failed meant fiddling behind the PC scenes. If anyone wants to have a play sith the early update method then go here

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/dcc-downloads.html

and download any version you like. They are all standalone and overwrite your existing update , but be aware you do this at your own risk. If you brick your Elite its on your own head.

Archived