Firebox connection

nicholas_theunissen

G'day Folks,

My first need for help on the forum. I'm a newbie to the forum.

I've installed a Hornby

TTS  Black  Five  decoder R.8114.Also going to install a firebox.

Is there anyway I can get the firebox and coal shovelling sound (F7) to operate together.

I don't want the firebox to be on continuously. I'm no electronics expert. So any simple

explanations would be most welcome.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick, welcome to the forums.

The simple answer - no unfortunately.  You would have to use the green function wire output together with the blue +ve common wire to power the fire box using the appropriate function to turn it on and off (see the spec sheet for the TTS).  Shoveling is a different function.  You can only operate them one after the other.

I may be wrong but if you are using railmaster to control your locos you may be able to produce the effect by using one of the function buttons programmed with its macro capability to do it. I haven’t used railmaster in a long while but I recall you being able to add different keystrokes when labelling the button. If so, I would  the connections as above and then program the button that turns on the firebox light to then call the sound function. That way you get the effext of opening the door and then a slight delay to hearing the sound...Someone more familiar with Railmaster may be able to confirm

Nicholas,

You have unfortunately wasted your second newbie post by using the blue button incorrectly to reply (malformed reply now removed to keep thread tidy). The blue button is not a 'Reply to this post' button.

To get the best user experience from this forum software, I suggest that you have a read of my 'How to use this forum TIPs'. You can read them here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

As LMSFan72 says.....if you are using RailMaster software, there are ways of creating a 'program' to simulate what you want to do. Either as a separate 'program' function, or possibly as a button 'macro' function.

It would have helped if you had stated what DCC controller you are using......after all, it may not even be a Hornby controller and other controller brands might have a similar 'macro' capability.

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I tried to set up a Railmaster macro for one of my TTS locos that has a firebox light - either to shovel coal when turning on the light, or to turn on the light when shovelling coal - but unfortunately Railmaster doesn't allow you to set up a macro on a latching (on/off) function.

Regards, John