Railmaster Software with purchase of 2nd hand Western Master Set

Bims

Newbie alert.
I've had a good read of various parts of the forum relating to the RM software, activation codes, transfer of ownership and so on.
I was going to convert and extend our layout by purchasing a 2nd hand western master set for an agreed £80. Which I thought was quite good value. But now I read that the software is not transferrable and even if it's been deactivated and I then install on another PC, if I don't put in exactly the same information as the original owner with that key I'm then shafted.
So, I looked at various places like Hattons and I don't see the CD's offered anymore other than at retail of £70. 
The only place I can find it is here:
https://railsofsheffield.com/products/16292/hornby-r8144-oo-gauge-hornby-railmaster-cd-rom
for £20. 
I'm assuming in this instance I just install eval copy, then activate with code on the CD supplied from above and away I go.
Any other retailers people might know of where it is cheaper?
Otherwise I'm going to need to tell them to reduce the cost by £20.
Many thanks,
Chris

I'm assuming in this instance I just install the evaluation copy, then activate with the code on the CD supplied from above and away I go.

Yes the CD code can be used on a downloaded evaluation version. The activation key is not electronically linked to any application specific version. In that respect, the key is flexible.

Your other comments regarding transfer of ownership are correct. This is also specifically stated in the RM manual.

Ownership is perhaps an incorrect term to use. You are given a license, that you pay for, to use the software. This includes 'free updates'. It is not your software to own. It is the license that is not transferable.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Thanks Chrissaf. And thanks for confirming. so I need to factor in an additional £20 for a new licence. Ok, that's fine. Regards the actual licence, I understand as I own and run a software dev company. I just didn't word it very well. It's like us really. You rent the software from us and for that we give you a code. The contract, if you like is between the renter and software company. It just entitles you to run the code and in this instnance also free updates. 

Archived