Class 58 DCC Conversion Issues

Millsy1707819711

Hello All, 

I (nice train shop guy) converted a older Class 58 Hornby model to DCC for me, soldering and what not, using a Gauge Master Chip. There are certain places long the track where it is getting stuck due to lack of power. I have tried changing the rails but it is still sticking on the certain spots, primarily the middle straight sections of the defualt Oval which Hornby provide on both sides (track pack A). I have tried cleaning the track and the wheels of the loco aswell.

Is this an issue with the Train or the Track or the power supply or something else? My New class 66 and second hand Class 67 work perfectly fine, with them VERY occasionally getting stuck in the same spots but only when ran extremely slowly.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, any questions feel free to stick them in the form!

Kind Regards,

Millsy

Agree that it is likely to be rail joiners. With the track powered up (DCC) run your thumb round the track and see if any of the joints are hot. If so the joiners are loose and need nipping up either with a flat bladed screwdriver or pliers.

The Hornby class 58 is notorious for being a very poor puller. It tends to have problems just pulling itself along, let alone a set of wagons, so not suprising it stalls. I found that just extra weight doesn't work very well either. In the end I put another motor bogie in.Very easy as it just clips in place of the unpowered bogie.Wired together with a Gaugemaster decoder ( I thought that a Hornby decoder that only has 500 ma probably wouldn't cope with 2 motors ) and a little extra weight it will now haul a long train up a 1 in 40 gradient. You just need to make sure that both powered bogies are identical as I believe Hornby have used at least 2 different designs and English and Chinese production. The 2 motor bogies seem to run fine together and the pulling power is transformed