Best Windows OS For Railmaster

Blue Day

hi guys. 

As im now getting to the point of my layout being ready to be powered and starting to test trains, I thought it best to ask. I’ve seen many people have problems with the software / connection to elite etc so, I thought I’d ask what OS is the best to run on a laptop for RM. I’ve seen XP being mentioned? I’m running 10 at the moment (I think) which I don’t think is best?

I run a business from home building computers, networks, websites and repairing all and sundry too including the obvious laptops and more. I also authored the Help Site on here for RailMaster.

A lot of technicians/enthusiasts and others will have many different views on operating systems whether Windows, Linux, Android or whatever and I firmly believe it is simply down to what you think is best for yourself.

All of the above have good and bad points. Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 or even XP will run RailMaster very well.

What determines your decision could be down to prospective updates for each OS and also to RM itself. This should not preclude firmware updates to the hardware such as Elite or eLink.

My thoughts are simple... latest OS with latest drivers and latest firmware for hardware. Those are where fixes for issues are found to be forthcoming whereas an issue with Windows 7 for example will be harder to sort shortly as it reaches end of life. That will be January 14th 2020. Windows 8 will reach end of life in 2023.

Windows 10 on the other hand will constantly be updated although each update will see quicker end of life for ealier releases of that OS.

The most critical part after all that is whether your PC hardware can handle RM sufficiently although it is not a huge drain on resources anyway. If your PC or laptop even is fairly new it should handle RM easily. As said though it is fairly simple as a program goes and should be used on later OS's as opposed to earlier ones.

Pit those thoughts against your own and others you will read here and gauge it from there. Don't be too worried about the actual OS too much because it will be hidden behind the RM screen anyway and therefore won't matter. You will always just see RM.

If you read through the Help Site on here at the top of this sub forum you'll maybe get a better picture if you note what background processes to turn off while running your machine. These make a difference to the operation of the OS (Win 10 on this example) itself and can save time and speed as Windows chugs along while these are left to run in the background.

Of course all OS's have issues like this but Windows 10 is an app hungry chappy and needs this stuff turning off.

Give this some thought and read others too and make your choice from those. Windows 10 is nowhere near as bad as folk think... and I was one of them at the start of its lifespan for a year or two.

Hope this helps...

Just to add my twopenn'orth worth. Yes, RailMaster running on Windows 10 has its foibles, but as the earlier Windows OS versions become obsolescent, then HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support) will, by default, be putting more of their debugging resources into getting the best out of RM using W10. Things that they have already done to RM to make it more W10 friendly, may have (as a possibility) broken things that previously worked pre W7. There are a few RM users who still run RM on XP on the basis that they never connect to the Internet (possibly still running an earlier version of RM as well), but as time passes even those diehards are likely to disappear or are forced to upgrade if things stop working.

For information. I run RM on a Windows 10 Laptop that was factory built as a Win 8.0 one. My main home office Tower Desktop is W7 Pro. Which in all honesty I would rather keep than upgrading to W10 next year. Given a free choice I much prefer W7.

From a techie point of view I do admit W7 is better than W10 by a long way. Much more freedom (much like XP before it) to fiddle around and easily repair stuff.

However, in my game it's a needs must and 'keeping up with the Jone's' etc. is pretty much why I turned to W10 in the first place given W8 and 8.1 were hopeless.

I think I would find it hard to go back now but at my age (6 and a half - plus a few) I really don't want to do that. Forward only but it is actually surprising how many haven't moved on from XP and I do even know one of my clients is still running both W95 and W98 believe it or not.

But, you're right Chris, HRMS may just be the ones who dictate what happens to most with updates and upgrades - IF they have Internet access.

Thanks for the replies guys. Reckon I’ll stick with what I have. Just a little frustrated as after firing up RM after 10 months it’s decided not to work, and I was considering W10 being an issue. It’s probably the RM upgrades (as I read in other threads) so I guess it’s a day in front of the laptop for me  😢

I have run RM since the early days on everything from WP through all versions to Win10 and have had some problems with each and everyone, but all have been knocked on the head as they pop up - whack-a-mole style. I will admit to some problems being finger trouble but some were induced by updates by RM.

I consider keeping it running smoothly akin to maintenance on the car or house.

@Blue Day

This thread is about operating systems and as RAF96 has indicated you have begun another thread to discuss driver and other issues regarding your problem with eLink and Windows 8 etc.

Please do not continue to ask questions on that matter here. Please use your newly created thread for those problems and folk can help you better if all communication is held in one place.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Archived