Expanding on my Continental Sports Cars set.

turkeylegs

Hi There "turkeylegs" and welcome to the forum.

I love the continental set. I am a big fan of teh LMP cars and the 90° R2 curves.

So to your questions: Proably "bang for buck" getting sets would be teh most econimical. There is a chance that the cars will be decent and you can get a lot of the standard track (45° R2 and 90° R2 curves, standard straights etc.). In fact, it is technically the only way to get 90° R2 and super long straights.

The downside is you will have extra controllers and powerbases you won't need and will have to deal with getting rid of them or storing them.

The other downside is that other track pieces such as R3 or R4 curves as well as half, 1/4 or 1/3 straights aren't included.

You will eventually have to get th 78 mm andf 87 mm straights sot get the most of your space. Some half straights will be essential too.

I like R3 and R4 curves a lot too.

Given your tight surroundings you may need an R1 in there. My recommendation is use a 22.5° R1 AFTER a car with a less-tight radius, like a 22.5° R2 or even better an R3 or R4 and then put a less-tight radius after the 22.5° R1 as well so cars can negotiate the turn better.

Here is a nice page about expanding your layout:

Good luck and let us know!