engine not moving on layout

baz47

Background, I have nearly 200 DCC engines 30 of which are sounded, I have 2 elites (one for testing) and 2 selects as slaves, I have recently purchased a hornby N2 with ESU sound chip, tested it on my test track, altered the No to the one I wanted it to run on and it ran prfectly, all sounds and motion, put it on my layout, all sounds OK but no movement, changed controllers same result works OK on test track but not on layout, has anybody got any idea's as to problem, never come across this one before.

The only logical idea that I can come up is as follows. Just a theory and possibility nothing more.....needs proving.

Since the loco is OK on the test track with either controller.

But not OK on the main track using either of the two controllers that were used on the test track.

Then logically there must be something on the main track that is distorting the DCC signal such that the new N2 ESU is susceptible to it, whereas your other locos are not.

You say you have 200 DCC locos, presumably not all on the layout at the same time. But one would assume that with such a high number of locos available to you, that the main layout is large and that a significant number of locos are sitting on the layout even if not moving.

My suggestion is that you slide an insulating sheet of paper under the standing locos so that the whole track is dedicated to the N2........does it then work OK.

If so, start putting the isolated locos back on the track one at a time, until you get to the situation where the N2 stops working.

It may be that there is one single loco on your layout that is disrupting the DCC signal, or it could be that the standing idle loco current draws have created a situation where the addition of the N2 on the layout is just one loco too many for the available controller power.

Just a theoretical thought.....but it could potentially fit in with the described symptoms.

Hi Chris,

thanks I will remove all loco's and see if it free's up the problem, I run about 10 at a time on a set time period,I had wondered if it was volt drop although I have got thingy majigs at each end to help prevent that, yes it is a big loft layout running 4 main lines and 2 shunting yards, been building for years, started off with the zero one system and it just grew from there. Will put on here any results.

regards,  Bazz

Hi both of you, they are terminators definately not boosters.

Chris, stripped all loco's off of track and re-programmed the N2, away she went no problem, left her running while I replaced remaining loco's, no problem at all, ran up for about 15 minutes pulling 8 coaches so maybe just a glich or maybe power off and reset did the job, thanks for your advice.

Regards, Bazz