TrainTech Smart Screen Configuration

St1ngr4y

That sounds like the controller has stopped responding to the messages being sent by the pc. Are you using Elite or eLink? What versions of firmware are in use in the controller(s) and what baud rates are being used between the pc and controller(s)?

Edit: After thought - you should be running TTSS5 with Railmaster not loaded. Is this the case?

Ray

That sounds like the controller has stopped responding to the messages being sent by the pc. Are you using Elite or eLink? What versions of firmware are in use in the controller(s) and what baud rates are being used between the pc and controller(s)?

Edit: After thought - you should be running TTSS5 with Railmaster not loaded. Is this the case?

Ray

I'm using the program that I put in the Railmaster folder. Railmaster is not running. Here is the connection data:

COM4  9600,N,8,1    Elite v1.44

Hi,

19200 is the recommended baud rate for an Elite. If you go into Device Manager and find the entry for COM4...

/media/tinymce_upload/3dcacd937ec0305e538ac96f7bcc05c1.png

My pc uses COM3 for my Elite and COM5 for the eLink.

Give this a try to see if it makes any difference.

Ray

Hi,

19200 is the recommended baud rate for an Elite. If you go into Device Manager and find the entry for COM4...

/media/tinymce_upload/3dcacd937ec0305e538ac96f7bcc05c1.png

My pc uses COM3 for my Elite and COM5 for the eLink.

Give this a try to see if it makes any difference.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Changed the baud rate. I have partial success: entry 0055A  with correct data is now in the text file but not 0055B. I also have 0065A/B but I'm not sure that I tried to save those entries correctly. I'm not absolutely sure that the changed baud rate was the key, since I tried a save with the old rate as well.

Hi Ray,

I think I know  what is happening here. I've changed the permissions on the folders. I can now write to the text file lines 0055A/B and 0065A/B, and the text shows up in the program as it should. If I save from the program and exit the B line is deleted. If there is a 0065 line then that B line goes, if not the 0055B goes.

I have tested this with the program in the Railmaster folder, and in its own. It seems to work equally well in either, but the effect on the associated text file is the same.

I can't work out why though! Is thtis any help to you?

AM

The baud rate affects data flow passing the instructions from the PC to the DCC controller hence to the screen.  It has nothing to do with saving text files On the PC, which is likely to be a local permissions setting problem.

• 2 months later...

Just tried running this (as admin) on my Windows 7 system which is connected to Elink on COM1 (no actual Smart Screen connected yet). Before it loads fully I get an Unexpected Error message. I've tried running in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but same problem.

[On my Windows 10 system, unsurprisingly, I get "no COM ports found".]

Hello PD,

Yes I've had one or two reports from people having problems running the program on any other OS than Windows 10, so for the time being W10 is the only way to run it. Unfortunately I no longer have any W7/8 pcs, so I am unable to drill down to the problem.

Ray

I still have an old XP machine and one that I updated to Win7 Ray, so I can crank them both up and give it a whirl  - or did I do that for you already ??? - can’t remember if I did or not.

I did ...

In work twixt Ray and me for those who are interested with positive results so far on Win7..