Installing elink to tablet

Operating eLink from your tablet is a matter of installing the driver.  Installing the RM software to run your trains is a little different.  However they have one thing in common - both require a full Windows operating system, version 7, 8 or 10.  If you have that and a USB port, then download the very latest version of RM from the link at the top of this forum, install it as administrator (over the top of any earlier version installed, and it includes the eLink driver), and away you go.

If you have any other operating system, you will need to get another tablet/laptop/PC that does have Windows before you can use RM and eLink, just like it tells you on the packet.

Assuming for a moment that your tablet is running Windows OS then I assume that your issue is that the tablet does not have the option of connecting to an external CD/DVD drive for the RM software provided on the disk.

The latest RM software can be downloaded from here: http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe this is the same link as the one located at the top of the RailMaster & Trackmaster forum index page.

As Fishman says above, your tablet will need a USB2.0 port to connect the eLink to and the tablet needs to run Windows OS. I advise that you connect your eLink to the tablet first and install the Windows driver for the eLink BEFORE you install the RM software. I would also advise that before starting the RM installer (that must be 'run as administrator') that you have the eLink connected to the tablet and powered up and that the eLink driver is loaded. The RM installation prefers to see the eLink present to help decide what settings to configure.

Yes I know that this reply in essence duplicates Fishman's above, but I felt that mine provided just that little bit more detail in it for a newbie, first time RM user.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You can still use the RM Activation Key printed on the CD packaging with the downloaded version.

Trust Chris, he'll always provide that little extra info.  I concentrated on whether you could do it at all, he's gone the full how to if you can. 

And I agree for anyone starting from scratch, give RM all the help you can by first loading the driver for your controller, eLink or Elite, then have it connected and running when you do the RM installation.  That way you will probably avoid having to go to more excellent extra info posts by Chris to do your configuration manually.

• 9 months later...

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/