speed settings and cv values

Hi everyone, new to railmaster with an elink running on n gauge peco code 55 track,   First of all a big thank you for all your help on this forum.  A month ago I downloaded railmaster and knew nothing about what I was doing. Reading all your threads I now have a class 22 deisel and a class 38xx loco running around quite happily. Also your help with the dcc concepts cobalt IP digital point motors was fantastic and I now have six points working perfectly, only eighteen to go!

But, and there is always a but!!

Initially I could only run both engines either full speed or nothing, and even this top speed seemed too slow.  Even changing the speed settings both engines run at exactly the same speed??  Upon reading one of your threads I lowered the speeds in the settings and I thought it had worked. I had numbers running up from 0 to 60. However, when i click on the speed control settings nothing happens, it is still either all or nothing. I changed the usb cable to see if it might be that not transmitting enough data, but no. My laptop is new and is running w10.  Any ideas please?

Also, I am confused as to how to apply acceleration / decceleration settings. Are these written to the cv values or am I missing something?? 

Thanks in advance for your help,  mungo.

There have been three posted questions to my knowledge of a similar problem, where the loco speed is either full on or off. In all three instances, the issue was fixed by complete deletion of the loco from the RailMaster locomotive roster list and re-installing it afresh.

Here is a link to one of the three.....look for posts by user Knap, and particularly his posts on page 2 & 3 of the thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/27840/?p=1

As to adjusting accel and decell values, default is normally 5 which is a fairly sharp start and stop response to throttle.

Value 0 is a boy racer start and a crash stop.

CV3 controls acceleration and CV4 controls decelleration. The higher the value the more momentum is built in  i.e. how long the loco takes to respond to getting speed up or losing it. E.g. if you wrote value 255 to each then you could set a loco off to max chat, have your lunch, come back just as it got there and then select stop and have your dinner and it would just have happened as you finished the washing up. TTS uses value 15 as default.

You can write new values in RM as normal.

Rob says you can write new values as normal, but he's assuming you've read and understood how to read and write CVs in the first place.  You will have already written CV1 to change your Loco IDs to run both at once.  However, you need to go back to the programming track/output of the controller and read the manual where changing all CVs is described.

In RM it is too easy to amend a value in any CV and then press the Tick thinking this writes the new value. All it does is re-read the existing values. Many folk do not realise that the Pencil icon must used to write new values to a decoder.

Apologies if the OP knows this already but some do not and may learn from it.