TTS wrong decoder

tonycoops

Hi, I recently went to the Great Electric Train Show where I bought 2 TTS decoders, one for a class 31 and the other for a class 50. I already have one of each in locos on my layout already, so I thought I knew what to expect.

However, I have just tried to program the class 31 using Railmaster Pro (with e-Link) as i did with the other 2, but when Railmaster reads the cv's it is showing the decoder as :-

Decoder Chip version  133  R8249 4 Function decoder

Manufacture ID  048  Hornby Hobbies Limited

The decoder has a speaker attached to it, so it looks right, but clearly all is not as it should be.

Just to be sure I checked my other class 31 and that does indeed show as a TTS Decoder.

Has anybody else come across this problem before, and should I be going direct to Hornby over this.

Thanks, Tony

There are loads of posts on this forum regarding info that TTS decoders report being different. The TTS decoder is based on a R8249. This issue is I believe related to TTS decoders that were manufactured in certain time periods.

Wait for Rob (RAF96) to see this thread and give you chapter and verse on what to do.

Edit - you know if you have a TTS decoder or not simply by the fact that an R8249 would not have a speaker attached and it certainly would not make a sound. This is simply RM misidentifying the decoder via CV7.

If you look back through RM forum posts you will see that TTS decoders can and often are ‘discovered’ as R8249 decoders in error when they have the same CV7 values.

What you can do is simply right click (or double click - I can never remember) on CV7 and force RM to accept the decoder you pick from the drop down list. Not all TTS decoders are listed but you could pick a generic TTS-Diesel for starters. Due to the way TTS decoders have developed and the firmware changed it is not possible to retro change CV7 numbering for the decoders out in the wide world such that RM can accurately identify a decoder type. It takes several steps to fully identify a TTS decoder starting with CV7, then other CVs in the 155 and upwards range which add to the trail. These other CVs can even differentiate between which motor is fitted to a Flying Scotsman for instance.

All RM is doing by identifying a decoder is so that it can load the correct set of CVs for that decoder type, e.g. R8249 has few CVs one can change so only these are listed, the rest are skipped, even though they may be readable if the decoder has been misidentified and this is the problem. TTS decoders have many, many more amendable CVs and the like of ESU or Bachmann or other decoders all have their own particular CV listings. If you want to you can get RM to read the decoder blind and it will read every CV whether it is changeable or not, but may not insert the correct description of a CV.

RAF96 you are a hero. I have to confess that the first time I read your piece it might as well have been in Chinese, because it went straight over my head. Second time, it was starting to sink in, and then the third time I was ready to give it a try. Needless to say it worked straight away.

I'm baffled as to how I managed to get this to work the first time I did a class 31 and 50, although now that I'm starting to think straight again, would it be because I entered the Hornby catalogue number R**** to select the kind of loco before I did anything else. Of course I never remembered any of this when I was struggling yesterday.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help, you are my hero. (I think I might be getting to old for this techie stuff).

Till my next purchase of a TTS decoder..................bye

Oh wow, make a guy feel inadequate why don't you. I'm only 63, maybe I'm not old enough yet. Don't take this the wrong way but I pictured you as "spotty computer geek guy", and now I feel ashamed of myself.

Maybe when I grow up I will understand all this stuff, so there's hope for me after all.

Thanks again, the youngster. (new kid on the block)

Yes RAF96 I am of advancing years but that training received at RAF Halton in the 60s certainly stayed lodged in the grey matter. I am 74.5 my handle could be RAF99.  They had better make the most of us while we are still around. LOL

Spot on Mike. . . 

I looked on the 99th website to see if I could find you but there are no tags against any ‘M‘ initials for Spain [Moraira) - several for Oz, USA and Canada though.