Fields in resource.mdb

One of the frustrations of Railmaster is the inability to copy a configuration from an existing loco to a new one. I have a number of Bachmann 45xx tank locos for which there is no Hornby equivalent. For each of their configurations I have used a Hornby 42xx tank profile which has the same size wheels, adjusted the shunt and cruise speeds, and then applied a speed correction factor to convert from a slow freight loco to a nippy branch loco – adjusting this to get a prototype 45xx running profile. Unfortunately because this is a trial and error method I have not recorded the speed corrections used so I thought I would look into the resource.mdb database to see if the correction factors were there.

The resource.mdb database (copy!) opens in Access 2003 and the relevant table is easily copied into Excel for analysis. This has raised even more issues! Column CL is called Factor but I cannot see how this relates to the corrections I have used. In addition column CO called Speed Curve has a list of values - variously 5 to 10 of them, which seems rather strange. Is there anyone with knowledge of these variables who can explain what they are?

There was a lot of coverage of cloning locos on the forum some time ago, including me asking for it on the RM wishlist, but as usual I cannot find it. I had several Vent Vans to clone around Nov/Dec last year and explained how to do it then.

If I recollect correctly it was as simple as giving a suitable existing loco a new address in the setup roster by clicking the ‘engine’ icon and then saving it . The new loco appears in the roster along with all the functions and settings of the old one and the old one stays put on its old address. Repeat for as many new locos as you wish.

Thanks for the responses - the link from Britannia Builder was very helpful. Of course, it might have been possible to find this thread if the forum search was any good! The suggestion that the speed curve figures were every 10 mph seems to be borne out by the number of them - 5 for a small tank and maybe 10 for an express loco. I'll check out the cloning suggestion from RAF96. It is still a puzzle where Railmaster puts the speed factor info!

The timing information typed into the speed factor screen definitely updates the Factor column in Resource.mdb, but I haven't been able to work out how it converts the elapsed time to the factor. It probably compares the time entered with the time that the loco should have taken at the correct scale speed, and updates the existing factor in the same proportion. I've just used trial and error to get a reasonable result.

NB the speed curve entries are for 5mph, then 10mph and multiples of 10mph up to but not greater than the maximum speed (eg up to 80mph if the max speed is 85mph)

Regards, John