6 pin Nano Sound Decoder for Hornby R3705 John Dewar & Sons

Leighton Cook

I wish to install a 6 pin Nano sound decoder for my Hornby R3705 that would suit with pre-programmed Ruston & Hornsby diesel motor type sounds with similar volumes as the Hornby TTS Sound Decoders.

Any suggestions for fitting instructions and make of decoder would be greatfully received. 

[A] R3705 - DCC ready with 6 pin nano blank socket -  I am told as R3705 on pre-order

Will fit 6 pin nano decoder base plate connection into pre-existing DCC socket

Will fit decoder module and speaker as a Inveralmond Distillery wagon load 

I cannot recall ever seeing a 6-pin sound decoder. All TTS decoders re 8-pin. You could rig a convertor harness twixt 6 & 8 ends but watch as the blue equivalent is not present at the 6 end. No problem if you are not installing lights or other aux function.

ESU make a 6 pin Loksound.

The decoder is priced at £100 plus.

(Loading sounds is probably extra on top)

Finding a 'Sound Decoder' retailer that not only stocks them but has one with the right sounds loaded for a R3705 shunter really is a 'needle in a haystack' search.

Yes RAF96, I will like to install Nano LED lights so will have to find a way to install with DCC Function Control if possible.

Thanks for all your comments.

Service Sheet No. HSS 447 Refers:-

Item No.6  Main PCD / Two Sockets Part No. X7419 shows the pre-existing DCC socket - DCC Ready

Following online searches Spare Part not available [ as yet ] ?

Can anyone confirm if it is a 6 pin or 8 pin decoder connection as I have deduced?

Thanks once again for any assistance.

I would like to install Nano LED lights so will have to find a way to install with DCC Function Control if possible.

When using a 6 pin decoder, you use two diodes (I suggest 1N4001 ones) to generate the positive function return path........see schematic below for details.

/media/tinymce_upload/f97083ccee1d9e88c64023e37b2a9a14.jpg

The industry standard is for the decoder white and yellow wire to be controlled by sending an F0 command to the decoder from the controller.

F0 toggles on & off 'Directional Lighting'. Thus when 'on' and the loco is going forward, the white wire in my drawing will be switched negative (with yellow wire off). When the loco is going in reverse, the yellow wire will be switched negative (with white wire off).

Whichever wire is negative will then light up the LEDs attached between that wire and the blue (positive) wire in my drawing.

PS - In case it isn't obvious to you. In my drawing, the white and red LEDs have the letters F & R in them. This stands for Front of loco and Rear of loco locations for the installed LEDs.

So with the loco going forward (white wire switched negative). The front white and rear red LEDs will be on. With the loco going in reverse (yellow wire switched negative). The front red and rear white LEDs will be on.

The boxed Rs represents 1,000 Ohm resistors @ 1/8 or 1/4 watt power rating.