Intermittent running

Pauljb83

Hi guys and girls. 

I have an issue with my tender driven flying scotsman. This week all of a sudden it's decided to stop working.  It was running fine and now it only moves when nudged.  Seems to be when the wheels are in a certain position.  There is a small amount of movement when the tender is on the tracks (as if the wheel spacing is a different length to the track). Motor is fine,  and contacts have been cleaned along with these wheels themselves. 

Any ideas on why it's not performing as it should???.

Thanks in advance. 

Paul B

Welcome to the Forum ...

Check the connection between Tender & loco Perhaps???

TIP (from Chrissaf): As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as Chrissaf reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Motor brushes worn out?

Dirty track?

Dirty, slack or corroded rail joiners?

How is the controller connected to the track?

What controller are you using? Tender drive tells me it is an old model. New train-set type controllers aren't powerful enough for the motor, and thermal overload, then shut off for a while, until it cools off again.