Analogue / DCC

Crassus

You can usually run a DCC fitted or DCC ready loco on analogue but you cannot run an analogue train on DCC.  

Exceptions.

Sometimess DCC fitted trains may have the ability to run on dc disabled.

Some DCC controllers have the facility to run 1 analogue loco on address zero but this is NOT RECOMMENDED because the motor can very quickly overheat and burn out.

If you're 'tossing the coin' whether to run on DC Analogue or DCC straight away, it may be easier to start on DC, but ensure all locomotives purchased are 'DCC ready'.

That way, if you wish to change to DCC, you can relatively easily convert the DCC ready locomotives.

Al.

DCC gives greater functionality, for example you can add sound, control lights remotely and set up automatic functions, but when you go DCC you cannot then run DC locomotives on your layout. It is more expensive at first cost for the locomotives, but cheaper for wiring the layout as you feed all the track in one go so you don't need seperate feed wires and isolating switches etc. 

If I were starting nowadays I would start as DCC, but with a large fleet of DC locomotives purchased over many years I cannot afford the cost or time necessary to upgrade them, so I will stick with DC. However I have a modest collection of O gauge locomotives and I have gone DCC sound with all of these.