Switching two points similtaneously.

81F

You haven't told us which 'DCC Accessory Decoder' you are using, but assuming the Hornby R8247.

Personally I find the R8247 output weak. On my layout, it wouldn't throw even a single PECO PL-10WE let alone two. But I am led to believe that the operation of the R8247 is more robust with the PL-10 non WE version. The PL-10 has a DC coil resistance of about 4 Ohms which is very similar to the Hornby R8014. The PL-10WE on the other hand has a DC coil resistance of about 12 Ohms. I found that the higher coil resistance needed a voltage higher than what the R8247 can output to produce robust point motor operation using the WE versions. For information - the PL-10 has black coloured coils. The PL-10WE has green coloured coils.

So in theory, if using the basic non WE PL-10 point motor from PECO and not the WE version then you should be able to fire both together if wired in parallel to a single R8247 port. Others on this forum have reported that this works, but I think those posts were specifying the Hornby point motors.

With regard to DCC addressing the R8247s. It is not possible to give two (or more) ports on the SAME R8247 the same DCC address. The R8247 automatically takes the port 2-4 addresses sequentially from the address you configure to port 1.

You can however, give two separate R8247s the same address range. So for example, if R8247 unit A is given port addresses 9 to 12 and the same address range is given to R8247 unit B. Then both the unit A and the unit B ports will respond to same 9 - 12 addresses.

Some other (non Hornby) Accessory Decoders, as well as being more powerful and supporting 'self learning' port configuration....do indeed support individual 'port addressing' that would allow DCC addresses to be duplicated.

Many thaks Crissaf, I am 99% certain that I do not have any of the WE versions on the DCC part of my layout so fingers crossed!

Presumably if wiring the motors together doesnt work I could obtain a single point deccoder (assuming they exist) with a manual programming feature and give it the same address as the corresponding Hornby one in the same way as llocos with duplicate addresses would.

Running your Elite at such an early firmware version may give you problems operating points via R8247 or other acc decoders that we cannot help with. At that revision the Elite hadn’t even been tested for NMRA compliance.

If you are having problems updating the device then maybe think about sending it to Hornby or asking your local model shop or club to do it for you.

Many thanks RAF96. Sadly it is a three hour round bus trip and walk to my "local" model shop but I might be able to update the firmware myself if I can get an alternative power supply for the elite (the cables on mine are very neatly cable tied to parts of my layout which are very hard to reach). Could someone advise me the part number for the basic power supply and let me know if the elite can be updated without being connected to a layout etc.

.....if the Elite can be updated without being connected to a layout

No layout connection is needed

The Elite power supply is Hornby P9300 but it isn't cheap.

If you have a laptop or can borrow one, why not just take the laptop to the Elite and leave it connected to its current PSU.

As Chris says if you can get a printer cable into the Elite to connect it to a PC/laptop you are halfway there. You obviously need the downloaded update files on the PC/laptop whether by USB stick file or direct internet acess is up to your situation. After that its plain sailing.

Look here to see the changes introduced by the various updates... scroll down to Elite version changes...

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/dcc-downloads.html

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks but laptops are a no go unless they have a 30inch screen since that is what I have to use on my PC due to poor eyesight.

However, I may have just come across my elites original transformer, just have to get it out from a box burried at the back of my layout

Many thaks Crissaf, I am 99% certain that I do not have any of the WE versions on the DCC part of my layout so fingers crossed!

Presumably if wiring the motors together doesnt work I could obtain a single point deccoder (assuming they exist) with a manual programming feature and give it the same address as the corresponding Hornby one in the same way as llocos with duplicate addresses would.

Yes single point decodes exist .traintech pc1 will do want you are wanting, easy to install and set up .