Points not firing using e-link and R8216

DuncTheMonk

Hi, I've spent 5-6 hours reading and trying and I'm finally asking for help

I have an e-link all setup, I have programmed locos no problem using it.

I have now got an R8216 and Hornby points R8243 

Things I've done

On the Programming track (with the main track connectors not connected to anything)

- Reset to Factory defaults by using the (i) CV programming option and setting Manufacture's ID to 8 - Seemed to go ok

- Programmed the ports to 1-4 just be sure - Dialog box came up and progress bar went all the way to the end

- Made sure the point wires were connected correctly = Red to +, Black to C, Green to -

Moved back to the main track connection

Built a track layout with points on it - Set points to use the R8216 decoder and port 1

Clicked the green and red buttons AND NOTHING HAPPENS

Opened the decoder interface, selected the R8216 and pressed the Red button by port 1 AND NOTHING HAPPENS pressed again and still NOTHING

Added another point motor into #2 just in case there is an offset problem - NOTHING

Then I started trying all sorts to get the motor to fire to test if the motor was faulty, ended up in the programming interface (i) and pressed the green tick to read the CV values the point motor (only on port 1) fired a couple of times, so I am thinking the motor works, the R8216 works and there is some setup problem somewhere.

I have also gone back to the manual and followed all the instructions again. but still nothing happens.

Any words of inspiration of something else to try or how to step by step diagnose?

Thanks

Duncan

The R8216 has been obsolete for some considerable time. It was replaced by the R8247 for good reason. I assume therefore that your R8216 has been purchased as a 'previously owned' product. This makes it potentially a suspect item.

There is one particular quirk of the R8216 that you may not be aware of which affects its ability to be successfully programmed. It needs to be 'pre-charged' before connecting it to the 'PROG' output of the controller being used to configure it. The 'pre-charging' requirement is not mentioned in the RM manual, but is mentioned in one of the other Hornby manuals, but off-hand I can't remember which one.

Pre-charging involves, connecting the R8216 to the main track output for a minimum of 30 seconds (one minute would be better). Then working swiftly, you transfer the R8216 connections to the 'PROG' output and perform your configuration tasks before the charge leaks away too much. This pre-charging is charging up the CDU capacitors internally inside the R8216, which if not precharged, will divert power from the weak low power programming signal. This pre-charging is not required on the R8247 product.

Just in case there is something wrong with your configuration methodology. I have previously written a 'full monty' step by step how to tutorial. The tutorial is primarily written for the R8247, but does include an addendum at the end for the R8216. You can read the full tutorial here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/programming-accessory-decoders/?p=1/

You wrote:

....and pressed the green tick to read the CV values...

Note you cannot read the CV values of a R8216....it is a CV 'write only' device.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

An indicator that programming has been successful is to connect a sloneoid motor to port 4 of the device, move the solenoid core to mid position, then when the decoder has finally programmed it will kick the solenoid across. The pre-centralisation means it can kick either way and you will still notice it.

For the doubting Thomases of this world I have had a single R8216 on my point relay panel since day one, admittedly it runs points 1-4. Never had a moments trouble with it. The rest are R8247s.

I put my lack of problems down to the points being on a separate bus from the track so the decoders never see any derail or similar spikes.