P2 Prince of Wales

Friendly Fryer

I guess this might be more of a question of when not if, but presumably some marketing geezer has noticed that the chaps reposnible for building Tornado are working hard to create the Prince of Wales P2 "Mikado".  The question is will the cock o the north get retooled to accurately depict this?

I did try searching the forums to see if there were any posts on this so apologies if this has been asked before

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of best quality where able, and reasonably affordable.

Already having the chassis, Hornby could 'do a double', and create a double presentation - PoW 2007 and CotN 2001 which requires the 'Bugatti nose' for the forthcoming re-created monsters in progress.

Al.

I thought the next project after Tornado and Prince of Wales at Darlington was a Gresley V4 2-6-2?  It was the Doncaster P2 project which was doing the Bugatti / Walschaerts design, and unfortunately they don't seem to get as much support as the lot at Darlington. So far as I know they only have a set of frames so far. 

https://www.facebook.com/P2Trust2001/

• 7 months later...

so I gave up and bought a P2 R3246TTS I was amazed at howe cheap it was but I don't feel guilty as this was pristine and surely it can't be right that trains are left in boxes for years and never run. Possibly I am influenced by James May or Toy Story. Anyway I'll get it it modified to look like the Prince of Wales if |Hornby can't be bothered

Given the popularity of all things LNER I would be very surprised if Hornby don't do the Bugatti / A4 type P2 before much time. They have, or will have had made most versions of the Gresley A3/A10/original A1, the Gresley A4, the Thompson / Peppercorn A1, the Thompson  A2/2 & A2/3, and the W1 in all its guises. There are a couple of A2 types to go at, and if we are looking at streamliners the B17/5 ought to be in the running given that they already have the standard Sandringham.

Actually the LNER 4-6-0 does quite well too. B1, B12 and B17 have all graced the Hornby stable.

Now there is still the Raven A2, but that is another story!