Running in?

Biker boy 1955

Well with me (to sit on the other side of the fence!!!) When I buy a Loco - I tend just to do a review of it on my You Tube Channel - Jimyjames73 then it goes on to my display shelf with all my other Locos & Rolling stock - then may be once in a while I might pick up a few Loco & put them on my track & use then for a few days - so really they don't get used alot - that is why I don't bother to run them in - but in saying that if you are going to use a certain Loco alot they yes best to run it in as both Eric & W. T. D. say above!!!

@ W. T. D. - Have you changed youur Avitar again or is it just me???

Hornby do not require running in but all other manufactures most definately do, and I find 30 minutes of gentle running on a rolling road first forward, and then reverse, does seem to be beneficial. 

In fact it is quite satisfying to watch a new model being run-in.

Once again thank you for the replies, I use a rolling road on my 5 inch live steam locos handy for setting up injectors etc.

cheers Chris 

p.s Yesterday  I bought myself a early Christmas present a Hornby Tornado express train set, very impressive last time I had a electric train set was 50 years ago! 

Very nice.

I would have to contradict LC and say ALL locomotives, irrespective of make require some 'bedding in' or running in.

I don't believe the Hornby tolerances are as tight as some other marques which may give credence to 'no running in required', but I've always noticed locomotives running better, smoother, and certainly more consistently at very slow speeds after some moderate running.

I'll admit that that 'what'll she do?' nearly always stops me from limiting to half throttle.

I accept I seldom see much increase in maximum speed after some running in, as you definitely would have done 30+ years ago, but times, and motors, have changed - it's the slower speeds and smoothness which benefits.

Al.

I wasn't saying that you should not run in Hornby locomotives, simply that in the leaflet that comes with a new locomotive makes no mention of it. I do actually run in all new locomotives when I get them and find it improves the performance.

• 3 months later...

No difference.

It is the motor and the mechanical gear transmission, wheels, couplings and bearings etc that you are 'running in'. Not the controlling electronics.

I only have an analogue set-up but I recall that I have seen it recommended somewhere to run DCC locos gently for a few minutes on analogue before running them on DCC. Sorry if I am wroing! However, NEVER run an analogue model on DCC: the motor will burn out in seconds.

I seem to remember seeing this advice, but I cannot recall where. It seems wise to check the loco runs OK on DC before fitting it with a chip if you are fitting the chip yourself, although locos already factory fitted should work straight from the box (or at least I would hope). 

Certainly NEVER run a DC loco on DCC before you have fitted a chip.

With regard to the old controller, some apparently do not like the latest motors (core less?) but 1990s is not that old. I am sure someone here can advise further.

With regard to DCC and DC, I have found on a couple of occasions that DCC fitted locos do not run very well on analogue layouts. However, removing the chip and fitting a blanking plug solves the problem. Obviously, in buying such locos I have not paid over the odds since the chip is redundant for my case. Also, chipped locos sometimes require more current to run.