What tool is the new GWR HST Starter set?

Iliketransport

Hello everyone,

This should be interesting for both me and anyone else considering buying the model.

Question for someone who has the set to answer: Is the set the Original hornby tool with the visible clips and bad mould? Or is it Ex-Lima? Or is it another all together?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Iwan

Hi Iwan.  I don't know for certain, and I haven't seen the set in the flesh, but looking at the image on the box, it looks like the original Hornby moulding.  The tell-tale sign, I believe, are the mounting points - the one below the door, made to look like a step certainly looks like the Hornby model.  I believe the Lima version had little lugs on the inside of the body.

We've had this discussion before, back in January 2019 (For future readers): Hornby Forum - New GWR HST set. According to JeremiahBunyan in the final comment on page 2, in that discussion, he said that the tooling will be the ex-Lima, but how true that is, I don't know. I assume he contacted Hornby Hobbies for that answer.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I think they are worth the money, at not much more than £100.00. Yes, it's an older and ex-Lima Models tooling, but when you consider the more up-to-date train packs of the two power cars only from Hornby cost a lot more than that, over £200.00 new, it's worth. The expensive models have a lot more detail are a lt more delicate however. I really do think the new GWR High Speed Train Set is worth the money.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)