Loco running issue

Stevek84

Hi, I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me. I've got a basic standard set (Santa express) and all works great, I've also been running a small 6 wheeled gwr loco on it with no issues. But I've also got a larger loco the Frederick pike which I've wanted to run. It started well but unfortunately my boy put another loco on the track at the same time which brou it to an abrupt holt. Ever since then it refuses to work, I've had it checked in my local modal shop and it runs like a dream, but back on the track it does Not want to know. I've checked the tender connection contacts and all seem fine. Anyone have any ideas what could be up?  Many thank, Steve

The Santa Express has a very basic R8250 controller that is not designed to operate multiple locos at the same time. Placing the second loco on the track might have caused the controller to shut down to self protect itself. The controller needs to be disconnected from its power source for 5 to 10 minutes (to cool down) then it should reset when connected to power again.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

That's for the replies. yes it's the the weatcountry class loco. When it originally worked the controller was actually faulty as had no speed control and so was flat out all the time!!! I had that replaced by the supplier and it still doesn't work. All other locos I have run with fault. Was wondering if the basic controller that comes with the kit isn't powerful enough to run it? As for tightness of the turns it did run fine around until the 2nd train was put onto the track. Thanks for the arrow tip too, almost fell into that trap!!!

First, dealing with today's non-deliberate mistake, 34058 is of course a Battle of Britain loco; thank you to all who were polite enough not to correct me!

As the standard train set controller is packed with other main-line loco's such as A1s, A4s, B17s which have similar characteristics, I would have expected the Santa Express controller to be able to handle the BoB if it is in good order, which it appears it may not be.  Is the new R7229 a more competent unit in terms of motor control?

GS