Rolling Road. Which make recommended ?

Jimbo1707820979

I do have a Hornby one which is the one I use most often, BUT it is not currently listed in the Hornby Shop although Amazon has it listed.  It is simple to use and set up. I have extra rollers which allow me to test a variety of locomotives. 

I also have a DCC Concepts set up which is very versatile because the individual rollers are placed on a straight bit of track from which it picks up the power. It also allows the gauge to be adjusted from P4 to N gauge but this takes time because the spacers need to be changed which requires them to be unscrewed and when changed screwed up again using tiny self tapping screws. (Woe betide you if you drop one on the carpet!!) Hornby rolling road can only be used for 16.5 (OO/HO) gauge of course. 

Tape three Pringles boxes together and cut a slot across all three. Put some kitchen roll on the slot,up end your loco and put it in the slot. Put two powered wires to the collecting wheels and it will run your loco for as long as you want. Great for running in new locos.

I would suggest what is thus described is a servicing cradle and not a rolling road.  Useful of course but may not fulfil the desires of a particular user. 

A Rolling Road keeps the locomotive the right way up and allows it to be observed in a normal position with driving wheels rotating. However is it isn't usually possible to clean wheels as they rotate. Unless of course you have the one in the video with the 'upside down' kit!

A Servicing Cradle inverts the locomotive by resting it upside down in a cradle so that if power is applied the driving wheels which are uppermost they will rotate and it is then possible to clean the wheel treads. Not always easy to get power to the wheels on some models. Care needed to prevent damage to the body with the cradle. 

Both devices can be used for 'running in', you pays your money and takes your choice.