Cardboard Models

Fraser87

Ok here's my fourpence worth. I have built many Metcalfe models both 00 and N gauge. I have used superglue with no problems, it great for tacking edges or positioning bits as they go off rapidly. The best one I found is sold in poundland 3 bottles for a quid. I have used UHU but find it's difficult to get just the right amount. PVA is good if you can hold the parts together long enough or can use clothes pegs to hold. Just recenly I bought a fence kit, it recommended the use of Super 'Pantic glue. Straight out of the small bottle it's very runny but that helps application as you can use brush or a very fine nozzle. It quickly starts to the set when the parts are brought together. It has a big advantage as it can be used with foam, expanded polystyrene foam, cardboard, wood, plastic, carbon fibre, fibre glass, tussue, cotton wool and paper. It's water soluble so the brush can be used.  So far I've not had problems with it and recommend it. 

Just to add, my Dad used Evostik impact adhesive on the supperquick and other card kits he built for me in the late 70s. All lasted around 5 years and it was only the scrapping of the layout and bad storage that lead to theit demise.

I would agree that selotape (or at least the kind that was available in the 1970s was not hood as this fell off in time.

Superglue is a non starter as the card will just soak it all up.

Having said all that I much prefer plastic or resin buildings so all my card buildings have long gone