Installing Dcc in new trainset GWR HST

Robby_50

I am installing R8249 decoder into the power car numbered 43005 from new GWR HST trainset R1230 for a friend. The decoder fitted easily but 2 white LEDs at the front came on as soon as the power car was placed on the DCC powered track. I was quite surprised as I hadn't realised that there were any working lights.

The wires from the pickups seem to go through a circuit board mounted inside the body above the front bogie that feeds the lights directly as well as going to the DCC socket. The white lights are therefore always on regardless of direction of the power car and the decoder has no control over the lights.I then tried it on DC and as power was applied the lights came on regardless of direction.

I guess that's what you get with a relatively cheap set loco, but at least it's got some lights. I shall have to borrow the trailer power car to see if there are any lights but I don't expect there will be. I guess the solution will be to wire the lights directly to the blue/white solder pads on the socket with a 1K resistor inline and leave the circuit board to feed the decoder socket.

• 4 months later...

Having the same kind of problems ,I got my new HST today and fitted a Bachmann decoder changed the address from 3 to 43 ,but the lights came on as soon as I put it on the programme track  (Z21) seemed to accept the code but acceleration was out of control and other loco’s started moving as well any ideas 

@Jannerboy,

Assuming someone on this Hornby forum is using Bachmann decoders with a Z21 controller then you might get a meaningful reply. In the meantime, whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Someone mentioned this on this site before. From what I can gather Hornby just did an upgrade to the old ringfield based model to get the cost down, like they do on a lot of their Railroad models. They changed the motor and modified the chassis but the rest is basically the old model.The old model had lights that came on in the direction of travel using diodes, I assume they stay on all the time with DCC. They did do a sterling job though on the bit you can see, the body, from a review I read, it is very good.