Diagram for wiring a SPDT switch with Hornby Select

steampowered

The Select manual shows how to wire a programming track, albeit with a Hornby changeover switch.

/media/tinymce_upload/cbbabcfcbbe7faa1d7a5aac8e4b2c6d9.png

You could use your switch in lieu of the Hornby one in that diagram  - green wire to your centre tag, with brown and red to the outer tags.

You would be better with a DPDT switch as it totally isolates the main track from the programming track. If you get a centre off switch then there is a definite safe position to isolate all tracks.

For a DPDT switch the leads from the Select Track output go to the centre pair of tags on the switch, with the main track to one outer end pair and the programming track to the other outer end pair.

Hi

Personally, I would use a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch to feed the totally isolated programming track. Note: The "Totally isolated" wording, this can be via two insulated rail joiners separating the end section of say a siding or better is to have the Programming track as a completely separate track away from the main tracks.  In Option 1 the DPDT switch provides total power disconnection from the main tracks  See Option 1 below

Alternatively, it can be wired so as the programming track rails are switched between Programming and Main by moving the two Programming rail dropper wires to the vacant two switch tabs. As shown in option 2 below. The use of a DPDT Centre Off switch may be a further advantage with Option 2.

Option 1

/media/tinymce_upload/fc944a1fef5e8f29b96cf44cfed1d5aa.jpg

Option 2

/media/tinymce_upload/d4f15185d9a782fc2b54fead0e2cfa71.jpg

Personally I would recommend using a DPDT switch rather than a SPDT switch. The reason being is that 'programming a loco decoder' is the task that usually displays the most issues and problems. Using a SPDT switch means that one leg of the Select output will still be connected to the main layout. The layout can be a source of electrical noise. Using a DPDT switch means that the programming track piece is completely isolated totally 100% from the layout and only connected to the Select. This, in my opinion, will give the best possible chance of potential programming issues being eliminated.

/media/tinymce_upload/be78e381565a24603e50e32b7f2d80b2.jpg

EDIT: Flashbang posted whilst I was preparing my reply (creating the drawing). Thus there is some duplication in my reply.

IMPORTANT TIP below, particularly since today is the last day prior to two consecutive BH days where forum Admin will not be working to authorise images by new forum members.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as the replies so far include images. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

On an associated topic, can someone provide the detail on programming a (basic) loco with the Select? I have had the Select with the original mixed goods DCC fitted set in Feb 2007. Some of my older analogue locos also have the original R8215(?) decoders in them and occasionaly a track short will revert them to the default address of 3. This has happened recently, but RM and Elite (V1.44) won't recognise the decoder - in RM I get a display "Unobtainable" and on the Elite I get a result of XXX. Before I replace the decoders, I'm wanting to try and reset the loco addresses from 3 to what they are in RM, but I can not find the Select Manual.  A copy of the page from the Select Manual would be great.

Thanks

Codge

On an associated topic, can someone provide the detail on programming a (basic) loco with the Select? I have had the Select with the original mixed goods DCC fitted set in Feb 2007. Some of my older analogue locos also have the original R8215(?) decoders in them and occasionaly a track short will revert them to the default address of 3. This has happened recently, but RM and Elite (V1.44) won't recognise the decoder - in RM I get a display "Unobtainable" and on the Elite I get a result of XXX. Before I replace the decoders, I'm wanting to try and reset the loco addresses from 3 to what they are in RM, but I can not find the Select Manual.  A copy of the page from the Select Manual would be great.

Thanks

Codge

Download here.   https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/3/

You cannot use a Select to 'factory reset' a decoder (write 8 to CV8) unless the Select has got the latest version 1.6 firmware. The write to any CV function is not supported on the pre 1.6 firmware.