Class 47 problem

ron 47

HI all have purchest the new class 47 railroad. to find it will not go round the corners

when i got it a part the motor was touching the chassis stoping it from turning right. i think that there was a pice of plastic that had not been cut out .so remove this and now all is well i just wonder if any one had had this problem or just me.

Ron

Which radius curves are you using Ron?

The 'default' minimum radius for all larger radius locomotives is 2nd radius nowadays. It used to be just the higher detail locos, now its more-or-less all of them.

Only smaller locos will get around the 1st radius - and very old ones if the flanges have been re-profiled.

Al.

Well done for finding the cause. I have several earlier Mrgate and China-made Class 47 models and none have had that problem. A 4th radius curve is almost as easy as they come.

More genrally, I have found that some model locos are fussier than others. Sometimes they prefer to run say anticlockwise rather than clockwise. I suspect this is to do with the pick-ups but a disater I had with a 2005 Fowler tank engine means that I am loathed to tinker with them too much. Basically I tried to adjust the thin copper strips to improve the running and got it running perfectly only to try the other direction when it promptly chewed a pick-up. The situation deteriorated from there and I never managed to find spares. 

Well done for finding the cause. I have several earlier Mrgate and China-made Class 47 models and none have had that problem. A 4th radius curve is almost as easy as they come.

More genrally, I have found that some model locos are fussier than others. Sometimes they prefer to run say anticlockwise rather than clockwise. I suspect this is to do with the pick-ups but a disater I had with a 2005 Fowler tank engine means that I am loathed to tinker with them too much. Basically I tried to adjust the thin copper strips to improve the running and got it running perfectly only to try the other direction when it promptly chewed a pick-up. The situation deteriorated from there and I never managed to find spares. 

When I can't find spare pickups I simply cut some metal to shape and size and use that!