Flying Scotsman noisy tender

Jonesy Red

Sean

I think if you do an ebay search for part nos X8030 and X8439  ... you will find sellers who will supply just 2 tires  ( at around £3 - £3.50 )  which is all that you need... Not too sure which tires you need so check before you buy.

Derek

Hi to you Derek, cheers for your reply. You are spot on with the part numbers. I may end up getting 10 as it would pay to have some spares plus they would fit other engines I have. I am still eager to find out if anyone has had just cause to try adding further weight to a loco particularly a tender, from what I read other comments about the FS r1039 this was a solution to the problem. I can see some logic as mine does wheel spin quite significantly when it comes to adding coaches. Maybe this all goes hand in hand with the design I get the general consensus that tender driven locos are not to everyone's liking, maybe it comes down to luck of the draw. That said I have other render driven locos which behave much better than this one. As we both have the same as it turns out how do you find yours any similar sort of problems from your experience? Regards, Sean

Add the tyres before you consider adding more weight.  (The tyres will also fit other China-made tender-driven Gresley A1/A3/A4 models.)  The motor sits in a cast metal block so, provided the locomotive the tender is pushing and the rolling stock it is pulling are all free-running, haulage capacity should be quite sufficient.

GS

Sean

Going Spare is right try new tyres before you start weighting the Tender...

I have 3 x Mallards and Flying Scotsmans with Ringfield Tenders .  After good servicing and especially after oiling the loco valve gear and rods they perform brilliantly ( the locos must freewheel easily !! ).  (You may need to oil/grease the wheel bushes but that should  ONLY performed if the other tasks fail to solve your problem - bush oil/greasing the loco is not so easy.)

Cheers and good luck.

Derek

Thank you both Derek and GS, I will get some tyres ordered in the not too distant future. As happens I did give the rods and recommended points a drop of oil as directed on the service sheet. I used a tiny bit of grease for the spindle. Inexplicably I can't say it massively helped my cause as the pulling power was still naff but it also let out an occasional squeal which I would have married that idea with lack of lubrication. Heavens knows these things are sent to try us! Cheers, Sean