Hornby TTS MTU and DCC

TypsJunction

Hello and merry Christmas and a happy new year. For Christmas I got a Hornby TTS sound decoder (MTU) for my FGW HST. Now I have a few questions if anyone can answer them. So when you press F1 it turns on the engine sounds and then pressing it again turns them off, basically toggleing them on and off which make perfect sense. However with the horns and sounds which are momentarily, it does the same thing which is annoying as the play the sound again I have to press the button twice - toggle off and then back on again. Now I use a Hornby select, which I know probably won't help the situation however I'm looking to upgrade to the NCE powercab. So what can I do to make the momentarily sounds play once and then just play again if I press the function button with the select or the NCE? Thanks

Unfortunately the Select only has toggle mode for functions and as you say you have to switch them off again before you can switch them on again. This is irritating in two ways - in that a non toggled spot sound having played through then stops but the Select has no on screen indication to let you see which are on and which are off. Given that the TTS decoder can only play a single sound in addition to the background (F1) noise you really have to keep a tick list of what sounds you have used and cleared or its a case of random poking of buttons to find which of the functions you left on. There is no way of changing this mode.

The Elite controller does have an on screen indicator of functions in use and it has the capability of switching a function from toggle mode to momentary mode simply by holding the function button down.

I have no idea if the NCE controller can be made to operate like this.

If looking at NCE try to get a demo of how you operate the higher function numbers, as on some handsets it can be irksome to get at them promptly. It may be easy to operate the first nine but a button pressing exercise to access the next sets.

The Select must be one of the easiest to use, apart from its on/off with no instant indicator foible noted previously.

Even the Elite can be a button pressing challenge to swap to the correct function screen if you are also controlling one or more locos simultaneously.

Thanks,

What I was hoping to do was be a able to change some of the function buttons on the NCE powercab to on buttons oppose to on-off buttons. Can anybody give me any advice whether this or similar is possible and on how I would go about it. Thank you :)

The powercab works in a similar fashion.you will be able to assign two buttons to momentary . Horn and bell . you will need to set up the power cab via cab set up "assign bell to function# ".you can assign all the buttons to do different things. There is a " shadow set up using shift +(button)".I personally use the option button to toggle between the 28 sound functions .eg play sound 15 . press option then 5 .

If you purchase a powercab get one with a UK plug power supply. save problems later .

Hope this helps.