E Link quick question

Thingameebob

Hi, 

Does the light on the elink light up just when it's plugged in or does it need to be connected up before it lights? 

I bought my husband a railmaster and e Link combination pack for Christmas to get him started with going digital.  It was a used but refurbished pack from amazon, listed as fully working.

He's finally had time to open it up today.  It was missing the USB cable, but I had a spare from my printer so we could get round that.  However we can't get the pc to recognise the e Link.

I notice that there could be a light on the unit. Is that supposed to light up whenever it's turned on, even if it's not connected to the pc or track?  If so the whole things not working as there are no lights on at all...

Thanks

The green led shows the eLink has power and is booted up. It does not have to be connected to a PC by USB to show this led.

You say the eLink and RM was ‘refurbished’. If the software has been previously registered then the licence cannot be transferred. If it was a case of the eLink was faulty and repaired but the key code was never used then you will be Ok to register it from within RM once you get it going.

Can you check there is power coming from the power supply unit that plugs into the mains. This should be 15volts (as shown on the power unit label ‘output’). You can check this at the jack plug with a multi-meter or a suitable test lamp. If there is no output then the power supply unit is faulty. If there is an output but the eLink does not light up then it is likely to be faulty. 

The green led shows the eLink has power and is booted up. It does not have to be connected to a PC by USB to show this led.

You say the eLink and RM was ‘refurbished’. If the software has been previously registered then the licence cannot be transferred. If it was a case of the eLink was faulty and repaired but the key code was never used then you will be Ok to register it from within RM once you get it going.

Can you check there is power coming from the power supply unit that plugs into the mains. This should be 15volts (as shown on the power unit label ‘output’). You can check this at the jack plug with a multi-meter or a suitable test lamp. If there is no output then the power supply unit is faulty. If there is an output but the eLink does not light up then it is likely to be faulty. 

Thanks, we'll test the power supply tomorrow.  I think I'm going to send it back and get a new one anyway.  Too much faff.  Bought it from amazon rather than ebay as I thought it would be more reliable!