Loco Speed in Railmaster

I seem to be having problems with the speed of some locos when operated through Railmaster.
I know that if you select a loco from the list then it will show the correct scale speed, but I find this is too fast. I have tried reducing the speed in the

loco setup, but it still runs at the speed designated by the program, which is far too fast.
Is it better to setup a loco and not select it from the list? but create your own and set the max speed. One example is the R2782XS 'CITY OF SHEFFIELD' it shows

design speed of 100mph, which is too fast, I reduced it to 70 in the setup, but it still runs at the scale 100mph.

I have also done this believing that it reduces the speed, the fact is it doesnt.

You have to alter the CV's on speed which I have to admit I don't understand how. A detailed explanation on how to do iot on Railmaster would be much appreciated.

As you point out the speed curve on the locos motors is not linear. That is to say, a steady increase in voltage applied to the motor by the chip (increasing the speed on your elite dial or using railmaster) will not result in a similarly steady increase

in speed of the motor.

I have found that many of the recommended speeds in Railmaster are well beyond the maximum speed of the loco. For example raising the speed from 0 to 10mph, to 20mph and even to 40 mph results each time in an increase in speed,

but beyond 40 mph there is little or no increase.

The perfect way of resolving this is to adjust the speed table on the DCC chip of each of your locos. That way you can tune your loco so that when the Railmaster asks for 100 mph the DCC chip applies

the correct voltage to the motor corresponding to a scale speed of 100 mph. (If I understand correctly it is not a variable voltage that is applied by the chip but a single voltage applied in bursts. Speed is increased by applying more or longer bursts hence

increasing the power to the motor).

There are instructions on how to do this in the Elite manual that is available to download from this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived