One set, different guide styles

Diggery

I never had a Scalextric set as a kid despite many requests but now have my own kid, so a perfect excuse to get Scalextric and start to learn about it! I picked up a 2nd hand set from a friend and am trying to trying to figure out what is what in terms of cars, spares and parts.

The set is the Need for Speed like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scalextric-Games-Need-Speed-C1239/dp/B0021L9HCI

I've given the cars a good clean, lube and worked on the tyres, and cleaned down the track.  I've added the digital lap timer / count down and ordered a spare straight to exend the track slightly. It's working well and seems like a reasonable setup that could be expanded in future with more track (the controller base has a port for another power brick).  We've had £35 worth of fun already! New braids are on order.

The thing I find curious is both cars have quite different systems on the guides, despite being the originals from the same kit.

/media/tinymce_upload/b7fbceca1726698e9018f19d35577257.jpg

The Lambo appears to be digital ready (hatch underneath) and has a smaller guide which connects to two spring pickups, which appears to be this:

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/round-guide-blade-4-braid-plates-1-screw.html

The 350z does not have a hatch and the blade guide is larger and when removed, there are a pair of rings instead of the hard wired pickups.  The 'lock to lock' movement is 90 degrees but the stops are screws, perhaps these can be removed for more lock and drifting?   I can't find reference to this for spares on the guide or plate.

I found this thread

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/basic-question-about-braid-plates-sorry-21023/?p=1

Can anyone add any more info?

Can I remove the screws and get some cool drifts going?

Any idea if there are spares for the 350z? I think it just needs braids, but the plate keeps falling off the Lambo so I'll get the a set of them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Diggery - welcome to the forum!

The Nissan is a drift car with a 360-degree rotating guide. So yes, remove the screws for full drifting action!

The spare guide assembly for the Nissan is C8330 'Drift Guide Blade, 2 Braid Plates, 1 Screw'.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my post had vanished since I included the photo and the post went for moderation and took a while to appear!

Thanks for the reply and the ID on the plates. They are relatively expensive, I'm thinking about picking up a car with standard plates to keep spares consistent.  The drift plates use longer braids too, I had to make some custom ones by soldering 3 together and chopping the run in half.

We've been having lots of fun with the set. Cleaned up, defluffed the cars, tuned the wheels and tyres, what a difference!

I also added a 12 pack of curves so we have some more wiggles. Will get drifting!