New Loco & power

Hi All,

I have just bought a new locomotive - the RailRoad, Godfrey & Mitchell Coal Merchants, Type D, 0-4-0T, No. 9 - Era 3/4 one.

Now it works fine - no issues but... I find I need to increase the power to a higher level than on the previous loco. That one was the Hornby Xmas special from the the 2000's. It is a small loco, not available now. So I wondered - do the more modern models need more power? Only on a previous post I got the impression that my controller - again from the 2000 era, was mor epowerful than the recent model. I only ask the question as I thought I might buy another controller from Hornby.

Keith

The 0-4-0's released more recently in the Hornby RailRoad range contain the same chassis and motor, as the older Hornby 0-4-0's have. However, around 4 -5 years ago, Hornby changed the gearing in them to slow them down, as they previously, they ran much too fast. I think they are better as they are now.

I am unsure if you need a new controller. I don't think you do, but let's wait for somebody to come along to answer that, who knows more about controllers, than I do!  😆  😉 😀

The Christmas train set from the 2000's you have, is that Hornby R1046 The Christmas Special Train Set?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

It will definitely not be a factory fitted resistor....it will be mechanical grearing if done at the factory.

Using resistors in series with motors is not Hornby technical policy. Any components that you see wired in series with a motor in Hornby locos that look like resistors will be inductors not resistors. A series inductor is very common and used as a suppression component with motors.