DCC Decoder R8249

Guest Chrissaf

I presume a triple typo and you mean an R8249 basic 8-pin DCC decoder.

You need to locate the maintenance sheet that comes with each loco to find out how to get the loco and tender bodies off. This sheet will also indicate the position of the decoder socket if one is fitted. If there is no socket then you will either have to fit one yourself or hard wire the decoder by cutting the plug off, disconnecting the wires from the motor brushes and wheel pickups, doing checks to make sure these are isolated, and then soldering the decoder to these wires per the standard 8-pin decoder configuration.

You should also try to download aa service sheet which will show clearly the internals of the loco aand tender so you can establish where to put the decoder.

If this is outwith your skill set then consider asking your local model shop or club to help you with it.

If I can add to Rob's, both models are DCC Ready so will have a socket fitted. You need the maintenance/service sheets to tell you where the socket is.

they are both recent models so will not be tender driven, the motor will be in the loco.  That doesn't mean the socket will be in the loco too, it may still be in the tender.  When I look at the K1 on this site, it clearly shows wiring going from the tender to the loco so the socket may well be in the tender.  Hornby has been doing this lately to make it easier to fit TTS decoders with speakers.

Can anyone help please with instructions on how to fit a DDC 8149 to  (a) R3314 - Class 4F '44341' locomotive; and (b) R3417 K1 Class '62065' locomotive. Both locos appear to be tender-driven! Does the decoder go into the loco or the tender? Not sure how to remove outer body to install decoder inside.

I presume a triple typo and you mean an R8249 basic 8-pin DCC decoder.

You need to locate the maintenance sheet that comes with each loco to find out how to get the loco and tender bodies off. This sheet will also indicate the position of the decoder socket if one is fitted. If there is no socket then you will either have to fit one yourself or hard wire the decoder by cutting the plug off, disconnecting the wires from the motor brushes and wheel pickups, doing checks to make sure these are isolated, and then soldering the decoder to these wires per the standard 8-pin decoder configuration.

You should also try to download aa service sheet which will show clearly the internals of the loco aand tender so you can establish where to put the decoder.

If this is outwith your skill set then consider asking your local model shop or club to help you with it.

Thankyou for your explanation! Both locos are labelled "DCC Ready". I have the service sheet for one of the locos, but not the other! Soory about the typo - it was of course the 8249 decoder! Hopefully, I will find the service sheet for the second loco - I simply can't tell from visual inspection how to get the loco body off!

If I can add to Rob's, both models are DCC Ready so will have a socket fitted. You need the maintenance/service sheets to tell you where the socket is.

they are both recent models so will not be tender driven, the motor will be in the loco.  That doesn't mean the socket will be in the loco too, it may still be in the tender.  When I look at the K1 on this site, it clearly shows wiring going from the tender to the loco so the socket may well be in the tender.  Hornby has been doing this lately to make it easier to fit TTS decoders with speakers.

I managed to get into the loco tender for the Class 4F loco, and the socket for the decoder was in the tender. Howver, have been unsuccessful so far with the other loco so am desperaely looking for the service sheet!  Thanks for your helpful answer to my query!

Quite often the loco body screws are hidden under the nem pockets for the coupling. These have to be carefully prised out with a flat screw driver blade. Tender screws are often hidden in deep sockets or again under the coupling. Beware also with tender bodies as they may be held in place by fragile parts like ladders or handrails, etc.

Service sheet 410 covers your K1. You can see the socket is in the tender with the speaker mount and the screws are marked in this picture of it.

/media/tinymce_upload/8ffcb21c6644214b2d5ac62355ae2600.png

Just in case you hadn't realised, all service sheets are on this site and available for download.  That's what Rob has done for you but you can easily do it for yourself now he's given you the number.

Given confirmation the socket is in the tender, the wiring between loco and tender will be 4 wires, two taking loco wheel pickups to the socket and two taking motor power from the socket to the loco.  When you have the blanking plug fitted for DC running, it joins these 2 sets of 2 wires.

And you will find it far simpler to not use that blue button against people's posts to reply, much better to reply by scrolling to the bottom of the page, as Rob and I have done, and using the text box and green reply button.  If you try to use the blue button on Rob's latest reply, your post will be held for moderation due to the picture of the service sheet it contains.