Powering a removable section

annagr

I am having a removable bridge section on my twin-track DCC layout to allow access to the middle. Instead of making an electrical connection between the removable part and the main track can I add a separate supply power to the removable section only? Then can I use a wire to take power from the powered track on the bridge to the other track on the bridge? I have not done a removable section before. Powering the removable section seems like the easier thing to do rather than trying to transfer power across from the main tracks where the join in the layout might be a problem. Wll this work for DCC?. Advice much appreciated.  I hope this makes sense - I am new to this.

Thank you Jane2. So for even very large DCC layouts one power supply is all it needs? I ask because I have seen so many people write about soldering every track section to the power or adding extra feeds but is this only for DC, not DCC?

Power feeds is not the same as additional power supplies. A 'power feed' is just the wiring that distributes the controller power to the layout track.

You can have as many power feeds as you like connected to a DCC layout. As long as all the feeds route back to the SAME controller (controller power supply).

The one exception to this is where you deploy 'Power Boosters' on a very large DCC layout. There are special design rules that must be adhered to when deploying 'power boosters'. Each track domain that will have a 'booster' connection must be electrically isolated from every other electrical domain. All the 'boosters' that are deployed must be connected to a single controller. The Hornby 'Booster' was the R8239 which is now obsolete and not available for new supply.

I am in the same position with a removable section for a new layout. My plan incorporates an isolated section either side of the gap which is only live when the bridge is in place. The isolated sections are there to prevent locos going floorward when the bridge section is removed.

I have another thread on the subject running somewhere but await advice from members who have posted a reply but await picture approval.

Hi

With a DCC layout you only need two wires for the DCC (usually called a Bus pair).  At the removable or hinged section use a reasonably sized flexible wire to link from the main layout to the removable/hinged section. I would use something like 32/0.2mm or 1.0mm2 flexible cable or wire which should easily withstand the flexing over a very long time of use.  

One end of this wire or cable (The main layout end) has the flexible wire pair permanently attached to the existing DCC bus pair, if a bus is used, or to the DCC fed rails, then the other end terminates in a suitable plug. On the removable or hinged section a mating socket to the plug is fixed.  Then a pair of wires connect from the rear of the socket to the rails of the removable section . A suitable plug and socket can be any readily available and are often really designed for audio use. However do avoid using Mains (240 Volt) types of plugs and sockets.  Some examples and not limited to are such plugs and sockets as....  2 pin DIN, 2 or 3 pin Aircraft, XLR, Speakon, or even 2 x Phono or 2 x 4mm Banana types, both of these ideally of two differing colours.

Thank you Jane2. So for even very large DCC layouts one power supply is all it needs? I ask because I have seen so many people write about soldering every track section to the power or adding extra feeds but is this only for DC, not DCC?

Hi ,you can solder every rail this is refered to as "droppers". These join to your power supply from ,eventually to your DCC controller. Doing this overcomes the rail joiners which over time can become a problem electrically speaking.

Very large DCC layouts can be split into " districts" using separate power boosters ,which I do not think you need with your removable section .

Hope this helps